Online purchases and updates to personal profiles will be unavailable on the ASCE website Friday, August 30 at 3:00 pm ET through Saturday, August 31 at 11:59 pm ET
You are not logged in. Login

ASCE Headquarters Information

ASCE Headquarters Open job Positions List:
View all open positions now!

ASCE Building 3
ASCE World Headquarters
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
(800) 548-2723 toll free
(703) 295-6300 international
(703) 295-6333 fax 
Customer Service Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET
  ASCE Washington Office
101 Constitution Avenue, NW, Ste. 375 East
Washington, DC 20001
800-548-ASCE (2723) ext. 7850
202-789-7850 Government Relations Department
202-789-7859 Government Relations fax

 

History of ASCE Headquarters

Until 1867 the American Society of Civil Engineers and Architects was housed in a two-room suite in the Chamber of Commerce Building, 63 William Street, New York City. An October 8, 1867 report relates that "the building [was] elegant, its entrance and stairway commodious, and there [was] altogether an air of quiet respectability about the place, in every way suited to our wants." Four years later an additional room was taken to accommodate the growing Society, but the space was soon outgrown.


1875: New rooms were taken at 4 East 23rd Street, New York City


1877: A dwelling house at 104 East 20th Street, New York City was rented, but was still found unsatisfactory for the Society's needs.

January 1, 1881: A letter to the membership stated the Society needed a permanent home "where the business of the Society and that of its non-resident members on a visit to New York can be carried on." A building fund was established and contributions invited.

April 1881: The sum of $5,000 was raised as down-payment for a desirable property at 127 East 23rd Street, New York City. This residence was home to the library and operations of the Society until 1897.


November 24, 1897: A building at 218-220 West 57th Street, New York City was formally opened. The four-story structure was designed by architect C.L.W. Eidlitz and years later became a 57th Street landmark. In 1905 additional land was purchased and a 50 percent expansion constructed. ASCE Building 1

December 17, 1917: ASCE became an occupant of the Engineering Societies Building at 33 West 39th Street, New York City and a fourth founder of the United Engineering Societies. The United Engineering Societies (UES) and Engineering Societies Building were established in 1903 by a financial gift from Andrew Carnegie. The original offer to affiliate with the UES, and take space in the new building, was rejected by ASCE membership because of a large misunderstanding concerning the autonomy of the Society. Later the offer was again extended and this time, without the earlier confusion, the membership accepted.

ASCE Building 2

September 5, 1961: The Engineering Societies Building proved too small for the burgeoning societies of the UES and in 1961 ASCE moved into the top two floors of the new United Engineering Center, at 345 East 47th Street, New York City, facing the United Nations complex. The Society remained at this location until it relocated to Reston, Virginia in the summer of 1996.


August 1996:  The American Society of Civil Engineers moved to the Washington, DC metro area (Reston, Virginia) to be at the crossroads of global commerce and the seat of Federal power. ASCE still retains some offices at the United Engineering Foundation (formerly the United Engineering Societies), at its new location on Park Avenue, New York City. 

For additional information on the different ASCE Headquarters that were located in New York City, go to the Metropolitan Section's Web page.