After your journal article has been accepted for publication, you will be sent an acceptance letter and an author kit to prepare your final submission. You will be required to submit the following materials and forms as part of your final submission.
For ASCE to publish a journal article, authors must submit the following to the Journals Staff via Editorial Manager:
Change in Author Byline
Authors are not permitted to change the byline of their paper once the manuscript has been accepted for publication by ASCE.This means that requests to add, remove, or alter the order of authors will not be honored after acceptance. Changing the author byline during review is possible, but is subject to the following requirements:
- If the author order is changing from the initial submission, the corresponding author must provide evidence of approval by ALL the authors.
- If an author is being added after the initial submission, the corresponding author must provide an explanation of the addition as well as approval by ALL the initial authors AND approval of the author being added.
- If any authors are being deleted who were included in the initial submission, the corresponding author must provide written permission from the authors being deleted. Without explicit permission to remove the names, the names will remain in the byline.
Change in Corresponding Author
Authors and editors are responsible for (1) identifying materials in their work that require permission, (2) obtaining permission from the copyright owner, and (3) verifying that the owner is properly credited for granting permission.
Thus, if a figure, photograph, table, or more than 500 words of text has been published previously, then written permission must be obtained from the copyright owner (often, but not always, the original publisher). Please note that material taken from the Internet is considered published and requires permission. More information on obtaining permissions and crediting sources is available elsewhere on this web site.
Documentation indicating permission for ASCE to reprint previously published materials in both print and online versions of the journal must be submitted with your final manuscript. Failure to provide permissions documentation will delay the publication of your paper.
Final Version of the Manuscript
- Microsoft Word is ASCE's preferred file format for manuscript text and tables. LaTeX is also acceptable; however, the corresponding author must review page proofs very carefully to ensure that special characters, equations, and other technical material appears correctly.
- All text, including the abstract and reference list, should be prepared in a single column and double-spaced format.
- Indent or add extra space between all paragraphs.
- Use a clear, readable font, such as Times New Roman, in 10, 11 or 12 point type. Do not submit any manuscript text smaller than 10 pt.
- Place tables and double-spaced figure legends on separate pages at the end of the manuscript.
- Verify that the final version is complete, that all pages are numbered correctly, including figures and tables. Do not include blank pages to separate sections.
- Review the Author's Checklist for Final Submissions to ensure that you have prepared your text correctly.
Copyright Transfer Agreement
Before ASCE publishes any paper, the copyright ownership must be clear and, except in a few cases, transferred to ASCE. The transfer is done through the Copyright Transfer Agreement (CTA). This form may not be altered and it must be signed by the corresponding author. The author retains, to the extent provided by law, the right to the fair use of the manuscript for various purposes such as teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use) and other nonprofit educational purposes.
More information about copyright transfer is available elsewhere on this web site.