ASCE is a signatory to the STM Permission Guidelines. STM Permission Guidelines allow fellow signatory publishers to reuse certain and limited materials at no charge.
Permission is, or in the case of an express permission requirement should be, granted free of charge, with respect to a particular journal article or book being prepared for publication, to:
- use up to three figures (including tables) from a journal article or book chapter, but:
- not more than five figures from a whole book or journal issue/edition;
- not more than six figures from an annual journal volume; and
- not more than three figures from works published by a single publisher for an article, and not more than three figures from works published by a single publisher for a book chapter (and in total not more than thirty figures from a single publisher for re-publication in a book, including a multi-volume book, with different authors per chapter)
- use single text extracts of less than 400 words from a journal article or book chapter, but
- not more than a total of 800 words from a whole book or journal issue/edition
You are still required to obtain a license through Rightslink® and comply with the license terms and conditions.