Rules for All Participants in ASCE-Labeled Social Media
All ASCE-labeled social media channels, including but not limited to blogs, microblogs, social networks, forums, and social news services, and the posts and comments on those channels, shall follow the standards outlined below.
ASCE reserves the right to remove, edit, or otherwise alter content deemed inappropriate for any reason, without notification.
ASCE-labeled social media channels, and any postings and comments therein, shall not contain or link to language or illustrations that:
• Are libelous, defamatory, obscene, threatening, offensive, abusive, ad hominem, or off-topic
• Contain content that is confidential or proprietary to ASCE, its members, or affiliates
• Are intended for commercial purposes, such as solicitation of funds, promotion of commercial entities or engaging in other commercial activity
• Endorses or opposes any political candidate or party or any partisan political position
• Include spam or chain letters
• Violate a third party's right to privacy or any other applicable local, state, national or international law
• Degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification.
• Infringes on any third party's copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights.
Authors who create, post, and/or comment on ASCE-labeled social media channels shall:
• Ensure that the posted material does not violate any term or condition of this policy
• Represent that they have the legal right to reproduce, adapt, display, and distribute the material and that it does not infringe the copyright, trademark, patent trade secret, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any other person or entity
• Include their name in the creation of social media channels and with each post or comment; anonymous activity is not permitted
• Certify that they are of legal age (18 or older).
The opinions of ASCE social media channel creators, moderators, posters and commenters are their own, and not necessarily that of ASCE or its affiliates. ASCE will not be held liable for any injury resulting from such statements.
Disclaimer of Accuracy
Any engineering opinions or information expressed herein [in the social media venue] are for general informational purposes only and are not intended in any fashion to be a substitute for professional consultation. Reliance on any information or advice contained herein [in the social media venue] is solely and completely at your own risk; therefore, you are urged to exercise a reasonable degree of caution in your use of any such information or advice. Under no circumstances does ASCE, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, or volunteers warrant the completeness, accuracy, or relevancy of any information or advice provided herein [in the social media venue], or its usefulness for any particular purpose. ASCE, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and volunteers expressly disclaim any and all responsibility for any liability, loss, or damage that you may cause or incur in reliance on any information or advice provided herein [in the social media venue].