Practice, Education and Research for Sustainable Infrastructure -- PERSI -- is an alliance of the infrastructure community, founded in 2006 at the initiative of ASCE. Participation is open to all organizations that produce, use, research or educate for sustainability practices for infrastructure, and are interested in the work of PERSI. Participants to date include: American Institute of Architects, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, American Planning Association, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, American Society of Interior Designers, American Society of Landscape Architect, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASTM International, American Water Works Association, Autodesk, Congress for the New Urbanism, Construction Specifications Institute, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, National Institute of Building Sciences, National Institute of Standards and Technology, and U. S. Green Building Council.
PERSI’s mission is to advance and incorporate concepts and knowledge of sustainability into the standards and practices used throughout the life cycle of infrastructure systems. (PERSI will not itself produce standards and practices, but will help its member organizations address sustainability consistently in their practices and standards.)
- Provide the practices needed for sustainable renewal of America’s infrastructure to respond to marketplace values and meet society’s needs.
- Embed sustainability provisions in the practices regularly used for planning, design, construction, commissioning, operation, maintenance, renovation and removal of infrastructure.
- Assist educational programs in architecture, construction, engineering, planning, and related technologies, in incorporating principles for sustainable infrastructure in their curricula, and strengthen K-12 education to improve public understanding of sustainability and infrastructure and to attract qualified youth to infrastructure careers.
- Establish an enduring program of research to provide critically needed knowledge for improvement of practices for sustainable infrastructure.
- Engage the U.S. infrastructure community in international efforts for sustainability.
Immediate objectives for PERSI are to assess current practices and knowledge and develop an agenda for:
- Implementation of best available practices,
- Development of improved practices to exploit available knowledge,
- Research to fill important gaps in knowledge, and
- Education of current and future infrastructure professionals and technicians.
See www.persi.us for more information, including PERSI's Proposed Plan for the Assessment of Knowledge and Practice for Sustainable Infrastructure, and progress reports of its initial task committees.