Education -- ASCE Code of Ethics
V. ETHICS EDUCATION: THE SOCIETY ENDEAVORS TO EDUCATE ITS MEMBERS AND THE PUBLIC ON ETHICS ISSUES.
- Case Studies: The Society has prepared case studies to provide guidance on ethical problems.
- Seminars: The Society sponsors ethics seminars.
- Policies: The Society has adopted Policy Statement Number 376 encouraging state boards of engineering registration to institute take-home examinations on professional ethics for professional registration. The Society has also adopted Policy Statement Number 418 supporting implementation strategies to promote sustainable development.
- Video Tape: The Society has a video tape of a mock Board of Direction hearing.
- Publications: The Society publishes the Code on the Society?s web site and in the Official Register, and makes the Code available to the public through the Society?s fax-back service. The Society also publishes papers on engineering ethics, including numerous articles in the Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice.
- ASCE Ethics Advisory Line: The Society maintains an Ethics Advisory Line (703-295-6061), which is staffed by the Society?s General Counsel and available to all Society members.
VI. QUESTIONS: Thomas W. Smith, III, General Counsel, CPC Staff Contact
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Va. 20191-4400
1. The American Civil Engineer, William H. Wisely, (1974).
2. Speech by Claudia Cositore, ASCE Professional Services Counsel, April 18, 1983.