The Albert Bridge crosses the river Thames in Chelsea, West London, England. It was opened on August 23, 1872. It was originally built as a modified cable-stayed bridge. However, due to structural challenges, the bridge was nicknamed "The Trembling Lady" due to its tendency to vibrate when carrying a large amount of people. It was modified twice--once augmenting the structure so that it incorporated aspects of a suspension bridge. It was modified a second time--two concrete piers were added, and the main span transformed to a simple beam bridge.
It is 710 feet long, and 41 feet wide. The bridge is only one of two bridges crossing the Thames in London that have never been replaced. The other is the more famous Tower Bridge.
To learn about other interesting civil engineering projects, visit the People and Projects section of the ASCE website.