Legislative Fly-In 2014
March 18-20, 2014
ASCE’s 14th Annual Legislative Fly-In gathered nearly 200 ASCE members from across the country to learn about public policy issues affecting the profession of civil engineering and how they can influence the legislative process.
Fly-In @ Home
It's not too late to participate through the Fly-In @ Home.
Here are some great ways you can interact with Members of Congress in from your state:
- Attend a town hall or other local events with elected officials. Visit your representative's website or check local newspapers for announcements.
- Schedule a Back Home Visit with your lawmaker. Members of Congress will be in their home states and districts March 17-21. Call their District or Washington office today to set up a time to meet with them. See our tips on effective Back Home Visits.
- Organize your own legislative day in your state capitol. ASCE Government Relations staff can provide assistance.
- Write your legislators through the Click and Connect with Congress on our top issue of transportation authorization and funding.
Influencing elected officials and increasing investment in infrastructure starts at the local level! Identify infrastructure success stories in your community as well as current needs and communicate them to your elected officials who make decisions impacting investment at the state and federal levels.
"Homework" Information for Legislative Fly-In attendees
The ASCE Legislative Fly-In is not your typical conference! Attendees work hard to learn about issues in Congress that affect the profession of civil engineering and then present those issues to elected officials on Capitol Hill. Engaging in a little advance “homework” to get familiar with these topics will help you feel more comfortable and also make you a better advocate for ASCE.
Fly-In Briefing Conference Calls
If you missed our previous calls, catch up here (ASCE member login required)
Issue Briefing PowerPoint - View the briefing PowerPoint used in Tuesday's session. (PDF)
Issue Briefs – Focus will be on surface transportation infrastructure authorization and funding.
Helpful issue links to review:
For Fly-In Participants (but Fly-In @ Home participants might also find some of these interesting and/or useful):
Materials for effective meetings:
Click & Connect with Congress:
Click on the “Elected Officials” section at the top of the page to learn about your elected officials
For previous Fly-In attendees
Share your experiences with your fellow ASCE members – ASCE Government Relations can provide a PowerPoint presentation and other materials for you to share with other ASCE members interested in joining ASCE grassroots efforts. Perfect for presenting at a Section, Branch or Region meeting, student chapter meeting, or brown bag lunch at work. Contact ASCE Government Relations and provide:
- Date of presentation
- Approximate number of expected attendees
- Address where you would like to receive materials
For additional information, contact ASCE's Government Relations Department at 202-789-7850.