Legislative Fly-In 2014
March 18-20, 2014
ASCE’s 14th Annual Legislative Fly-In will take place March 18-20, 2014 in Washington, D.C. ASCE members from across the country will gather to learn about public policy issues affecting the profession of civil engineering and how they can influence the legislative process. The 2014 Program is full and we are no longer accepting applications. Please revisit this page in mid-February to see how you can participate in Fly-In activities from home.
The program includes:
- Briefing sessions on key legislation active in Congress
- Training on lobbying and influencing your elected leaders
- Networking with your ASCE peers from across the country
- Tips on continuing relationships with your elected officials once you return home
There is no registration fee to attend the Fly-In, but participants are responsible for their own travel expenses. A limited number of travel stipends are available (see below for details.) A cancellation fee of $125.00 will be charged to participants who cancel after March 3, 2014 (less than two weeks prior to the event start date.)
Fly-In @ Home
Can't travel to Washington for the Legislative Fly-In? You can still participate through the Fly-In @ Home.
Here are some great ways you can interact with Members of Congress in from your state:
- Attend a town hall or other local events with elected officials. Visit your representative's website or check local newspapers for announcements.
- Schedule a Back Home Visit with your lawmaker. Members of Congress will be in their home states and districts March 17-21. Call their District or Washington office today to set up a time to meet with them. See our tips on effective Back Home Visits.
- Organize your own legislative day in your state capitol. ASCE Government Relations staff can provide assistance.
- Write your legislators through the Click and Connect with Congress on our top issue of transportation authorization and funding.
Influencing elected officials and increasing investment in infrastructure starts at the local level! Identify infrastructure success stories in your community as well as current needs and communicate them to your elected officials who make decisions impacting investment at the state and federal levels.
Check back for updates and more information as they become available, and contact us with any questions or concerns.
"Homework" Information for Legislative Fly-In attendees
The ASCE Legislative Fly-In is not your typical conference! You will work hard to learn about issues in Congress that affect the profession of civil engineering and then present those issues to your elected officials on Capitol Hill. Engaging in a little advance “homework” to get familiar with these topics will help you feel more comfortable and also make you a better advocate for ASCE.
Fly-In Briefing Conference Calls
If you missed our previous calls, catch up here (ASCE member login required)
Issue Briefs – Focus will be on surface transportation infrastructure authorization and funding.
Helpful issue links to review:
For Fly-In Participants (but Fly-In @ Home participants might also find some of these interesting and/or useful):
Materials for effective meetings:
Click & Connect with Congress:
Click on the “Elected Officials” section at the top of the page to learn about your elected officials
For previous Fly-In attendees
Share your experiences with your fellow ASCE members – ASCE Government Relations can provide a PowerPoint presentation and other materials for you to share with other ASCE members interested in joining ASCE grassroots efforts. Perfect for presenting at a Section, Branch or Region meeting, student chapter meeting, or brown bag lunch at work. Contact ASCE Government Relations and provide:
- Date of presentation
- Approximate number of expected attendees
- Address where you would like to receive materials
For additional information, contact ASCE's Government Relations Department at 202-789-7850.