President, Nevada Resort Association
Ms. Valentine is currently the president of the Nevada Resort Association (NRA). The NRA is an industry trade association representing Nevada’s resort/casino industry. The NRA is involved in state and local regulations, lawmaking, and policies effecting gaming.
Valentine was formerly responsible for the executive oversight of the country's 15th largest county that provides both regional and municipal-type services to more than 2 million residents. In her position as the county's Chief Executive Officer, she was charged with carrying out the policies established by the seven-member Board of County Commissioners. As county manager, she was responsible for the fiscal management of the county's $5.9 billion budget and provides administrative oversight for 38 diverse and geographically dispersed departments (including McCarran International Airport and University Medical Center), and the more than 10,000 employees.
Valentine was an assistant county manager for Clark County from November 12, 2002 until her appointment as county manager. Valentine oversaw numerous county departments including Air Quality & Environmental Management, Comprehensive Planning, Development Services, Family Services, Fire, Public Works, Real Property Management, Social Service and the Water Reclamation District.
Previously, Valentine served as city manager for the City of Las Vegas, which has 16 departments, 2,800 employees and, at the time, a fiscal year (2002) combined budget of $740 million.
Her appointment there in 1998 was preceded by her position as senior vice president of a national consulting engineering firm. There, Valentine was principal in charge of the Public Works and Environmental projects. Valentine has more than 10 years of combined experience working in the private sector and is a registered professional engineer in Nevada.
Valentine was the first chief engineer and general manager of the Clark County Regional Flood Control District, which was created in 1986. As general manager of the newly formed agency, she developed all the district's programs including Master Planning, Capital Improvement, Regulatory, Flood Warning and Storm Water Quality programs.
Valentine has a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of Idaho. She is the author of various articles in the areas of flood control master planning and storm water management.
- 2009 Help of Southern Nevada "Women in Non-Traditional Leadership Roles" Award
- 2010 Women of Distinction, Government Award
- 2008 InBusiness Las Vegas Magazine, 50 Most Influential
- 2008 ASCE Civil Government Award
- Pi Alpha Alpha National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Public Administration
- 2006 Listed as an extraordinary woman engineer in Changing Our World: True Stories of Women Engineers.
- 2000 One of the 20 Most Influential Women in Nevada (In Business Las Vegas Magazine)
- 1996 Woman and Youth Award (Las Vegas Boys and Girls club)
- 1993 Woman of Achievement in Science (Las Vegas Chamber of commerce)
- 1990 ASCE Engineer of the Year in Government ( Southern Nevada Branch)
- 1988 ASCE Edmund Friedman Young Engineer National Award for Professional Achievement
- 1987 Finalist for Woman of the Year in Government ( Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce)
- 1984 NSPE Young Engineer of the Year ( Nevada )
- 1983 NSPE Young Engineer of the Year ( Southern Nevada )
- 2009 ASCE Industry Leaders Council
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Chairman, National Infrastructure Policy Committee, 1997-1998
- Technical Activities Committee, 1996-1998
- Past Director of the National Board of Direction representing Nevada , Utah , Hawaii , Arizona and California
- Post President of the Nevada Section
- Past President of the Southern Nevada Branch
- ICMA (International City/County Management Association)
- NSPE (National Society of Professional Engineers)
- Past President of State and local chapters
- APWA (American Public Works Association)
- ASFM (Association of State Floodplain Managers, past member)
- ASPA (American Society for Public Administration)
- National Association of Counties Green Government Advisory Board
- 2011 Nevada Blind Children Foundation
- 2011 Outside Nevada Foundation
- 2008 University of Idaho Civil Engineering Advisory Council
- 2006-2010 UNLV Public Administration Advisory Board
- 1998-2008 Bond Oversight Committee, Clark County School District
- 2002-2006 Nevada Adoption Exchange Board
- 2000-2004 Advisory Board, Las Vegas Boys and Girls Club
- 1998-1999 Mayors Funding Gap Committee on Infrastructure, City of Las Vegas
- 1998-1999 Board of Directors, Nevada Taxpayers Association
- 1996-1998 Planning Commissioner, Clark County , Nevada
- 1996-2002 Board of Directors, Community Resource Organization, Nevada Test Site
- 1994-1997 Air Pollution Control Hearing Board Members, Clark County Health District
- 1993-2000 Board of Directors, Las Vegas Boys and Girls Clubs
- 1983-1990 Engineering Advisory Council, University of Nevada , Las Vegas