What is the ASCE Fellow grade?
The ASCE Fellow grade is surpassed only by that of Distinguished Member and President-Emeritus.
This grade represents a recognized level of professional distinction and achievement, per the established guidelines:
- have at least 10 years exceptional responsible charge of engineering experience while at Member grade,
- be a licensed Professional Engineer or Land Surveyor,
- be nominated by an ASCE Organizational Entity,
- have 3 testimonial references (from at least 2 ASCE Fellows and 1 ASCE Member).
What is the benefit of advancing to ASCE Fellow?
- Fellows receive an exclusive and impressive cherry wood framed Fellow wall plaque along with a distinctive gold-plated Fellow lapel pin.
- Increased visibility as an ASCE Fellow, evidenced by a new monthly column in ASCE News, containing bios and pictures of newly elected Fellows.
- Enhanced amenities at the National Conference & Exposition, including a distinctive Fellow lanyard and nametag, separate Fellow registration area and lounge designated for use by ASCE Fellows.
- Recognition as a leader in the civil and related engineering professions, as someone who has attained this distinction and has made an ongoing commitment to - and to supporting ASCE's leadership in - the profession.
- Exclusive use of the Fellows logo and Fellows shield on your business cards and letterhead.
- New Fellows receive two free tickets to the OPAL (Outstanding Projects and Leaders) Awards Gala and special recognition during the OPAL program.
What is the procedure for applying for advancement to Fellow?
Fellow application packets are available by contacting ASCE Membership Services by mail (ASCE Membership Services, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191); by phone (800-548-2723 or 703-295-6300, Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pm ET); by fax (703-295-6333), or by e-mail.
You may request an application packet, or download a PDF copy of the application.
How and when are the Fellow applications reviewed?
All applications for Fellow must be considered and approved by the Membership Application Review Committee (MARC). The MARC consists of ASCE Fellows and Distinguished Members who meet monthly to review all Fellow applications. This group reports to the Membership Committee.
Can I join ASCE as a Fellow?
Generally, there is no direct admission into the Society as a Fellow. An exception may be made only in cases of Reciprocal Agreements of Cooperation with other engineering institutes.
What are the costs of ASCE Membership at the Fellow grade?
Fellow and all standard member dues pricing is detailed on the ASCE dues page.
What are some of ASCE's future plans for the Fellows grade?
An area of the ASCE website dedicated to ASCE Fellows, to include:
- information from the ASCE President and others,
- testimonials from ASCE Fellows,
- information on how to apply for the Fellow grade, "Hall of Fellows" gallery, to include photos and bios of new Fellows, and possibly links to other electronic press articles about individual ASCE Fellows
Who can I contact with questions, or for any help with the Fellow application?
Questions should be directed to the Applications Administrator for the Membership Application Review Committee (MARC). To contact by phone, call (800) 548-2723, x6289 or (703) 295-6289, direct line; by fax at (703) 295-6335; by e-mail; and by mail at ASCE, Membership Applications Dept., 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191 USA.