Outstanding Projects And Leaders (OPAL) Awards
Nomination Deadline: June 1st
The OPAL awards honor outstanding civil engineering leaders whose lifetime accomplishments contributed in one of five categories.
Construction - for innovation and excellence in construction of civil engineering project and/or programs.
Candidates in this category are senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is to oversee significant construction projects.
Design - for innovation and excellence in civil engineering design.
Nominees in Design are practitioners who are directly charged with hands-on design projects.
Education - for demonstrated excellence in furthering civil engineering education.
Candidates in the Education category are professors and deans whose careers are marked by achievements that direct or change the course of engineering education.
Government - for demonstrated leadership of public sector projects and/or programs.
Those chosen for honor in this category are civil engineers at work on public service construction projects or those who direct and oversee large government projects.
Management - for exceptional management skills in his/her professional career.
Nominees in this category are senior managers of an engineering organization, whose primary responsibility is to oversee and direct operations.
The 2017 OPAL Award Winners
- Anne Bigane Wilson, P.E., CPC, M.ASCE , Construction, President, Bigane Paving Company
- Harry G. Poulos, DScEng, Dist.M.ASCE, Design, Senior Consultant, Coffey Services Australia
- Bruce R. Ellingwood, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE, NAE, Education, Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering, Colorado State University
- Lt.Gen. Thomas P. Bostick, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE, Government, former Chief of Engineers and Commanding General, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Anthony S. Bartolomeo, P.E., F.ASCE, NAC, Management, President and CEO , Pennoni Associates
These individuals crafted engineering wonders that have contributed to the creation of thriving businesses and the local economies of the communities they serve. Lifetime recipients represent a model of achievement to which future generations of engineers aspire to match or exceed.
Each Outstanding Projects and Leaders (OPAL) award recipient will receive a trophy at a gala banquet in the spring.
- The awards are given to model civil engineers who have demonstrated outstanding lifetime achievement, leadership and a long-term commitment to excellence. The awards are not restricted to members of the Society.
- In that the election of ASCE Presidency is the highest office accorded, Past Presidents are not eligible for OPAL awards.
- As many as five awards (one for each category) are made annually. The awards will be bestowed based on the lifetime accomplishments and achievements of the recipients. A person can only receive one OPAL in their lifetime.
- Names of candidates considered by the Society Awards Committee but not nominated for election will be reconsidered the following year. Individuals must be renominated after three years.