Jay H. Higgins, P.E., F.ASCE
Region 9 Director Official Nominee
- Associate in Architectural Engineering Technology, Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Master of Science in Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- MBA, University of Chicago
- Licensed professional civil engineer in California and Illinois with 40 years of experience in the design and construction management of water, wastewater, stormwater, transportation, building, and earthwork projects.
- Recently retired as a Senior Project Manager after 22 years with URS Corporation in the Construction Services Division.
- Currently a Consulting Civil Engineer specializing in construction dispute resolution and construction claims analysis.
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers since 1973
- Metropolitan Los Angeles Branch, Los Angeles Section
o Treasurer, 2002-2003
o President-elect, 2004-2005
o President 2005-2006
o Past President 2006-2007
- Los Angeles Section:
o Secretary, 2006-2008
o President-elect, 2008-2009
o President 2009-2010
o Past President 2010-2011
- National Student Steel Bridge Competition: Regional Judge 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; National judge 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
- National Concrete Canoe Competition, National Judge, 2010
- Los Angeles Section Centennial Celebration, Chair Fundraising Committee and Treasurer
- Los Angeles Section, Region 9 Governor and Vice Chair
- Recipient of several ASCE awards including 2009 Outstanding Section Officer/Region 9; 2008 and 2013 President’s Award/Los Angeles Section; 2012 Carl Blum Award/Younger Member Forum/Los Angeles Section; and the 2014 Robert W. Bein Lifetime Achievement Award/Life Member Forum/Los Angeles
Other Volunteer Activities
- Director, Chicago Post, American Society of Military Engineers,1994-1996
- President, Illinois Association of Environmental Professionals, 1995-1996
- Board of Directors and Vice Chairman, ACE Mentor Program, Los Angeles Affiliate, 2009-present
- Jay's two daughters are his most significant lifetime achievement: Emily Higgins who recently finished an MBA program at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and Laura Higgins, a graduate of the College of Wooster in Ohio and, is currently a music therapist at the Cleveland Clinic.
- He has sailed in twenty-eight “Chicago-Mac” races, a three hundred fifty mile sailboat race on Lake Michigan from Chicago to Mackinac Island located between the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan. After participating in twenty-five of these races, he was inducted into the “Island Goat Society” (some say “Old Goat Society”) in May, 2011. He plans to sail with a friend across the Atlantic in 2015 on his friend's 48-foot sailboat.
- Jay lives with his lovely wife Judy Lea in Burbank, California.