Roebling, New Jersey
Roebling is located about eight miles south of Trenton, the capital of New Jersey, and on the western bank of the Delaware River and adjacent to the New Jersey Turnpike. It was planned and created as a company town by John A. Roebling’s Sons Co. John A. Roebling, the founder of the Company and prominent bridge builder between 1845 and 1869, died in 1869. The Company was running out of space in its Trenton Works and needed room to expand. Under the control of Charles G. Roebling, and with help from his brothers Washington A. (the builder of the Brooklyn Bridge) and Ferdinand, Charles planned a town where every thing was owned and operated by the company. Starting in 1905 the new mills and housing, which could only be rented by the workers, were completed and workers, almost all of them recent emigrants from Europe, started to move in and the mills started production. It remained a fully owned town until after World War II when the housing was sold off to the workers and the mill sold to Colorado Fuel and Iron.
|Aerial view of the city of Roebling, New Jersey
The aerial view of the town illustrates the planning of the town with the housing increasing in size from the mills on the top right to the lower left. Management/supervisors lived in the larger houses. The development was originally called Kinkora for the railroad stop nearby but became the town of Roebling shortly after.