Structural Engineer’s Professional Training Manual
David K. Adams, S.E.
2007 / 405 pp.
Hard Cover - In Stock
$90.00 List / $67.50ASCE Member
Stock No. MC107 / ISBN: 9780071481076
Copublished by McGraw-Hill Professional and ASCE Press.
Comprehensive and easy-to-understand, The Structural Engineer's Professional Training Manual offers a solid foundation in the real-world business and problem-solving skills needed in the engineering workplace. Filled with illustrations and practical “punch-list” summaries, this career-building guide provides an introduction to the practice and business of structural and civil engineering, including lots of detailed advice on developing competence and communicating ideas.
- Recommendations for successfully training engineers who are new to the field;
- Methods for bringing together ideas from a variety of sources to find workable solutions to difficult problems;
- Information on the real-world behaviors of building materials;
- Guidance on licensing, liability, regulations, and employment;
- Techniques for responsibly estimating design time and cost;
- Tips on communicating design ideas effectively; and
- Strategies for working successfully as part of a team.
About the Author
David K. Adams, S.E., practices Lane Engineers, Inc. in Tulare, California. In addition to providing plan checking services for local municipalities to determine building compliance with life safety, accessibility, and structural requirements of current codes, he provides expert review services for California’s engineer licensing board, has participated in the development of national and California-specific structural engineering licensing examinations, and is currently an instructor for the American Society of Civil Engineers.