Handbook for Architectural Planning and Design
Barbara A. Nadel
2004 / 672 pp.
Hard Cover - In Stock
$89.95 List / $67.46ASCE Member
Stock No. MC171 / ISBN: 9780071411714
For engineering and architectural professionals planning new construction, renovations, or security upgrades of existing facilities, Building Security: Handbook for Architectural Planning and Design is the definitive twenty-first century reference on security design, technology, building operations, and disaster planning.
Award-winning architect and author Barbara A. Nadel, FAIA, provides security design solutions for creating safe commercial, institutional, industrial, and residential buildings in the post-September 11, 2001, environment. Generously illustrated with 600 photos, drawings, tables, and checklists, this comprehensive compendium addresses protection from terrorism, natural disasters, chemical and biological agents, crime, and workplace violence.
- Lessons learned from benchmark events;
- Planning and design of more than 20 building types;
- Historic preservation security guidelines;
- Home and business disaster planning, response, and recovery;
- Emergency management and facility procedures;
- Protective structural design;
- Mechanical, electrical, and fire protection design;
- Chemical and biological protection;
- Construction site emergency response guidelines;
- Technology and security design;
- Codes, standards, and security guidelines; and
- Liability exposure after September 11, 2001.
This essential volume is the single-source reference for architects, engineers, planners, building owners, facility managers, construction and real estate professionals, public officials, safety specialists, educators, and students seeking to create safe, secure, and well-designed environments.