Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst (2005)
Edited by Barry F. Beck
Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) GSP 144
2005 / 688 pp.
Soft Cover - In Stock
$193.00 List / $144.75ASCE Member
Stock No. 40796 / ISBN: 9780784407967
Proceedings of the 10th Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, held in San Antonio, Texas, September 24-28, 2005. Sponsored by the Geo-Institute of ASCE; the Edwards Aquifer Authority; P. E. LaMoreaux & Associates, Inc. Cosponsored by the Southwest Research Institute.
This Geotechnical Special Publication contains 71 papers dealing with karst topography, which impacts water resources, waste disposal, foundation stability, and a multitude of other geotechnical and environmental issues. The goal of this conference was to share knowledge and experience between disciplines by emphasizing practical applications and case studies.
- geology and origin of sinkholes and karst;
- modeling groundwater flow in karst;
- karst hydrology of the Edwards Aquifer;
- prevention and remediation of sinkholes and karstic settlement;
- foundation and geotechnical engineering in karst;
- karst hydrology and dye tracing;
- legal issues and government programs related to karst;
- geophysical applications to investigating karst;
- GIS, databases, and other computer applications for karst; and
- karst and sinkholes in evaporites.
GSP 144 will benefit environmental and geotechnical engineers, and others involved in water resources, water disposal and foundation stability issues.