The public policy goal of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) is to serve the public and the engineering profession by:
- Advocating for the Society's strategic goal of enhancing infrastructure and environmental stewardship to protect the public health and safety and improve the quality of life.
- Promoting engineering excellence through public policy activities.
- Developing civil engineering positions on public policy issues, and developing alternative proposals consistent with the profession's commitment to public safety.
- Coordinating ASCE members and resources at the local, state and national levels to impact public policy efficiently and effectively.
- Maintaining a quick response capability for short notice issues.
- Undertaking agenda-setting and pro-active public policy activities.
- Educating and assisting public policymakers to better understand the engineering impacts of legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Providing coalition-building leadership in order to increase the impact of ASCE's public policy positions.
- Building strong coalitions with allied industry associations to speak with a unified voice on issues that affect us all.
- Promoting the understanding and participation of ASCE members in public policy positions.
Adopted by the Committee on Government Affairs on September 18, 2008
Adopted by the Board of Direction on November 4, 2008