1) Applicants must be a member of the Society (in any grade) and in good standing at the time of application and award.
2) Grants are made toward expenses for experiments, observations, and compilations to discover new and accurate data that will be useful in engineering.
3) The fellowship also recognizes underwriting fully or in part, some of the loss that may be sustained in the publication of meritorious books, papers, or translations pertaining to hydraulic science and art that might, except for some such assistance, remain mostly inaccessible.
4) The grant may be in the form of a prize for the most useful paper relating to the science or art of hydraulic construction.
5) Travel grants are available. These are open to members younger than 45 years, in any grade of membership, in recognition of achievement or promise. These are also for the purpose of aiding the candidate to visit engineering works in the United States, or in any other part of the world, where there is good prospect of obtaining information useful to engineers.
6) The grant may be for assisting in the translation, or publication in English, of papers or books in foreign languages pertaining to hydraulics.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form.
- Personal essay on why the applicant should receive this fellowship.The essay shall be no more than 500 words and shall highlight why the applicant chose to become a civil engineer, specific ASCE involvement, any special financial needs, and long term goals and plans.
- Detailed financial statement stating the amount of and purposes for which the funds will be used and how they will assist the applicant.
- Description of the proposed research and its objectives; a statement from the institution at which the research is to be conducted indicating that the applicant and proposed research are acceptable to the institution must be included.
- Minimum of two sealed letters of recommendation; one must be from a faculty member.
- One sealed official transcript with each application.
- One- to two-page résumé.Include honors, activities, organizations, ASCE activities (including any offices held), and any work experience.
One complete application package containing one original of all items listed above must be received by ASCE Honors and Awards Program by February 9, 2013. All items must be collected by the applicant and sent to ASCE Honors and Awards Program as one complete application package. Application packages missing any of the above items will not be considered.
Stipend will be awarded based on funds available and may be awarded to one or more recipients. Past awards have been in the $2,000 – $5,000 range. Award is to be used for expenses for research and experiments as stated in the eligibility requirements.
Deadline: Received by February 9, 2013
Submit Completed Application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here to download the application form.