1) Any currently enrolled freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in an ABET accredited program in civil engineering or related field who will be registered as an undergraduate in fall 2013. Applicants must be a student member of the Society in good standing at the time of application and award.
2) The scholarships may be awarded only to those students who will employ them to continue their formal undergraduate education at a recognized educational institution.
3) Previous recipients of these scholarships are eligible to apply in any succeeding competition for these awards provided the other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
4) Selection is based on the applicant’s justification of award, educational plan, academic performance and standing, potential for development, leadership capacity, ASCE activities, and financial need.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form.
- Personal essay which shall be no more than 500 words and shall highlight why the applicant chose to become a civil engineer, specific ASCE Student Chapter involvement, any special financial needs, and long term goals and plans.
- Detailed annual budget.Document the extent of financial need by indicating expenses and income from all sources. Expenses shall include, but not be limited to: tuition, fees, books, living expenses (rent/mortgage, meals, and utilities) and miscellaneous expenses (commuting costs, car payments, insurance, previous loan balances). Income shall include but not be limited to: salaries and wages from employment, grants and loans, all family support, and military stipend.
- Minimum of two sealed letters of recommendation, one of which must be completed by a faculty member.
- One sealed official transcript.
- One-page résumé. Include honors, activities, organizations, ASCE activities (including any offices held), and any work experience.
One complete application package containing one original of all items listed above must be received by ASCE Honors and Awards Program by February 10. All items must be collected by the applicant and sent to ASCE Honors and Awards Program as one complete application package. Application packages missing any of the above items will not be considered.
Scholarships will be awarded based upon funds available and may be awarded to one recipient. Award may be in the range of $5,000. It is anticipated scholarship funds will be used for tuition and tuition related expenses and will be disbursed in the fall 2013 term.
Deadline: Received by February 10
Submit Completed Application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
ALL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE FULFILLED. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Download the application form.