Scholarships available for award to ASCE National Student Members are made possible through the generous bequest of Samuel Fletcher Tapman, M.ASCE, in 1961. The scholarships were established by the Board of Direction in 1961, the first awards being for the academic year 1962-1963.
I. The Samuel Fletcher Tapman ASCE Student Chapter Scholarships may be presented annually to not more than twelve (12) undergraduate civil engineering students, who will use the scholarship for their sophomore, junior or senior tuition expenses and fees.
II. The purpose of the scholarship is to further the education of worthy students in any civil engineering discipline.
- a. At the time of application the individual must be a student in an ABET-accredited program in civil engineering or related field, a member of his/her local ASCE Student Chapter, and a Student Member of the Society in good standing at the time of application and award. No more than one application may be submitted from the membership of any one Student Chapter.
- b. The scholarships may be awarded only to those students who will employ them to continue their formal undergraduate education in a recognized educational institution.
- c. Previous recipients may apply for consideration in succeeding competitions provided all other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
Complete applications are to be submitted to the ASCE Honors and Awards Program office for receipt by February 10 of the year of award. Application must include (1) completed application form; (2) statement by the applicant of the reasons believed to justify an award to him or her, as well as plans for continuing his/her formal education; (3) brief financial statement outlining how the applicant will finance his/her education if an award is granted; (4) official transcript; (5) resume; and (6) minimum of two letters of recommendation to be completed by the Student Chapter Faculty Advisor and at least one other member of the faculty.
- a. Selection is made by the Society Awards Committee or its designee for recommendation to the Executive Committee for final approval.
- b. Selection is based on appraisal of applicant’s justification of award, educational plan, academic performance and standing, potential for development, leadership capacity, ASCE activities, and financial need.
- a. Recipients will be notified of selection in May by the Executive Director of the Society.
- b. The amount of the scholarship will be determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the fund endowment.
- c. The awards will be deposited to the awardee’s account with the business office of the institution designated in his/her application. Equal withdrawals can be made by the awardee for each term of the academic year.
Deadline: Received by February 10
Submit Completed Application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Download the application form.