1) Any currently enrolled junior or senior civil engineering student at an institution with an ABET-accredited program who will be registered as an undergraduate in fall 2013, is an ASCE Society Student Member in good standing at the time of application and award, and has an interest in structural engineering may apply for this scholarship.
2) Scholarships may be awarded only to those students who will employ them to continue their formal undergraduate education at an educational institution with an ABET-accredited program.
3) Selection is based on appraisal of the applicant’s award justification, educational plan, stated interest in structural engineering, academic performance and standing, development potential, leadership capacity, and financial need.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form.
- Personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing why the award should be given to the applicant, interest in structural engineering, and plans for continuing formal education.
- Detailed financial plan. Document the extent of financial need by indicating expenses and income from all sources. Expenses shall include, but not be limited to: tuition, fees, books, living expenses (rent/mortgage, meals, and utilities) and miscellaneous expenses (commuting costs, car payments, insurance, previous loan balances). Income shall include but not be limited to salaries and wages from employment, grants and loans, all family support, and military stipend.
- Minimum of two sealed letters of recommendation from faculty members.
- One sealed official transcript for each school attended.
- One-page résumé. Include honors, activities, organizations, ASCE activities (including any offices held), and any work experience.
One complete application package containing one original of all items listed above must be received by ASCE Honors and Awards Program by February 9, 2013. All items must be collected by the applicant and sent to ASCE Honors and Awards Program as one complete application package. Application packages missing any of the above items will not be considered.
Scholarships will be awarded based upon funds available and may be awarded to two recipients. Awards may be in the range of $2,000. It is anticipated scholarship funds will be used for tuition and tuition related expenses and will be disbursed in the fall 2013 term.
Deadline: Received by February 9, 2013
Submit Completed Application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here to download the application form.