The Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI) of the American Society of Civil Engineers is pleased to announce the second annual Architectural Engineering Institute Professional Project Award (PPA). The award is designed to mirror the goals of the Architectural Engineering Student Design Competition, explained below, and to nationally showcase best practices by industry professionals and companies on real-world projects.
The AEI Professional Project Award program is designed to publicly acknowledge outstanding achievement in design and construction. The program seeks to educate students and professionals through examples that illustrate the application of academic studies to practice, with focus on the art and science of an integrated approach to architectural engineering.
2014 Professional Project Award Schedule
||- February 21, 2014 (extended)
||- March 6, 2014
|Banquet & Awards Ceremony
||- March 29, 2014
Presentation of the Professional Project awards will occur at the 2014 AEI National Student Conference, which takes place March 27-29, 2014 at Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
The event will be broadcast by video to all the architectural
engineering programs and the winning entries will be published on the
AEI website and will be made available to the media and professional
journals through press releases.
Relationship to the Student Design Competition
The AEI student design competition is a project involving the design and construction of the engineered aspects of a high performance building, including the structural, mechanical and electrical systems, as well as construction management. The emphases of the competition are integration of the engineered systems for a high performance building, collaboration, competition, and peer review. Students are encouraged to work together in multi-disciplinary teams and consider how the engineered systems enhance the architecture of the building.
The AEI student competition is open to both graduate and undergraduate students in accredited architectural engineering programs, and teams are supervised by faculty advisors. All submissions are entered in the building systems integration category and one or more of the following four categories: structural systems design; mechanical systems design; electrical systems design; and innovative construction management and methods.
Although the Professional Project Award does not have to match the project type or program criteria, professional submissions should address the spirit and challenges of the AEI student design competition. For more information on the student competition, please see: Architectural Engineering Student Design Competition.
Submitted professional projects for Professional Project Award should include key attributes that support the goals and the program of the Student Design Competition. The Professional Project Award is open to AEI individual and corporate members and to AEI industry partners. At least one primary project team member or firm must be an AEI individual member, corporate member, or industry partner. AEI industry partners may be current or former competition/conference sponsors, executive council members, or competition judges. For an AEI Member Application, please see: Join AEI.
The professional projects submitted must be at least substantially completed through construction within the last five years. Entrants may submit more than one project, and each project may be entered in multiple categories. Each entry submission is required to be submitted by or include written permission of the Engineer-of-Record or Responsible Engineer. All required submission materials must be received before entries will be considered.
Back to top
The professional project submittals will be reviewed by a committee of five jurors, including representatives from the AEI Board of Governors, AEI Executive Committee, and/or AEI Academic Council.
Submissions will be evaluated in each category based on the following judging criteria in priority order:
1. Originality and Innovative Character
2. Integration and Collaboration
3. Sustainability, Energy Efficiency and Economics
A winner will be announced in each of the following categories:
1. Architectural Engineering Integration
2. Structural Systems Design
3. Mechanical Systems Design
4. Electrical Systems Design
5. Construction Management and Methods
One “Award of Excellence” and up to two “Awards of Merit” will be awarded in each category. In addition, one project will be recognized for the “Best Overall Project” and one project will be recognized for the “Most Innovative Project”, as additional awards beyond those recognized in the submitted category.
All entries must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Completed the entry/signature form along with $250 entry fee, to be used towards funding the student competition. Please make checks payable to ASCE Foundation with AEI Student Competition noted on the memo line c/o Verna Jameson at the address below.
- A project abstract with up to 300 words generally describing key aspects of the work to be used in the Awards Banquet and other publications.
- Up to a two-page project summary (12 pt font, 8-1/2” x 11” format) for each entry category describing the project specifically highlighting key aspects as they relate to the entry category, judging criteria, and the student competition.
- Digital files that contain the project abstract and summary in MS Word format. Include a MS PowerPoint format file for summary slides of the work (6 min. and 12 max.). Include one high resolution .jpeg or .tiff file of the finished project that can be used for publication.
- All entries shall be the sole property of AEI and submitted materials will not be returned. AEI reserves the right to use or publish some or the entire materials in publications. By entering, the entrant grants a royalty-free license to AEI to use any copyrighted material related to the awards program only. Such right includes publication of photographs and names of recipients without compensation to entrants. Entrant must obtain and submit any rights to publish photographs or figures used in their material obtained from third parties or other publications.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to submit your digital files, and send the entry fee check to the following address:
Verna L. Jameson, Administrator
AEI Professional Project Award
Architectural Engineering Institute
of the American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191
703.295.6199 ● email@example.com ● http://www.asce.org/aei
Download the: PPA Registration Form.
View the 2013 Winners.
Back to top