You are not logged in. Login


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who should become a member of AEI?  

AEI membership is open to both engineers and architects who are involved in the construction, structural, electrical, and mechanical engineering of buildings. Also students in Architectural engineering programs should become members of AEI to take advantage of the many networking possibilities available through AEI. Click here to learn more about the benefits of AEI membership and how to join.

2. What do architectural engineers do?  

Architectural engineers generally specialize in one of a number of disciplines related to building design and construction including: structural engineering; electrical engineering (with an emphasis on building systems design); heating, ventilation and air conditioning; lighting; or construction. Each specialty area requires very different talents and responsibilities; however, all architectural engineers have a common interest in buildings. Click here to learn more about Architectural Engineering and AEI.

3. What kind of credit can I get for participating in Webinars?  

Unfortunately it is difficult to provide CEUs for Webinars. We do provide PDHs and AIA Learning Units, however. Every Webinar site gets a sign-in sheet with your final confirmation on the Monday before the seminar. You fill that out and return it to the registrar via e-mail. When she receives it, she sends you the PDH form for your records. Click here to learn more about Webinars.

4. What is the P.E. Exam?  

The Architectural Engineering Principals and Practice of Engineering (P.E.) exam is one of many P.E. exams administered by the state agencies and provided by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). The NCEES provides many exams including structural, civil, mechanical and electrical. Passing the P.E. exam is just one step in obtaining your Professional Engineer (P.E.) license. Please note that it isn't called an architectural engineering license - just simply a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license. In addition to the P.E. exam, states generally require an applicant to have a degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program at a college or university, to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (F.E.) exam and to have design and construction experience.

Since the individual state boards are responsible for licensing engineers, each state has slightly different requirements. Most of the states currently register engineers as P.E.s without recording what specialty area the engineers are proficient or which exam they passed. A P.E. is a P.E. is a P.E. Other states do record the specialty areas of their registered engineers. Regardless of the state's recording practices, it is essential that professional engineers only practice the specific field/fields that he/she is proficient. This is extremely important for the safety of the public.

The architectural engineering exam covers structural engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and construction of buildings. The structural, mechanical and electrical exam questions in the AE PE exam are similar to the exam questions for the discipline-specific exams except that the AE exam only covers questions related to building design and construction (not bridges, et cetera). The AE P.E. exam is currently the only exam that includes questions pertaining to construction.

Check with your state licensing board for specific information about its requirements regarding engineering licensure. Click here to learn more about the P.E. Exam