Your Civil Engineering Legacy
The ASCE Foundation Legacy Society honors individuals who are interested in financially supporting the future of civil engineering. These individuals have made a decision to support ASCE by providing for a future gift to the ASCE Foundation through a planned gift.
In recent years, bequests and other deferred gifts have become easy vehicles for making larger than usual gifts to support civil engineering. Most often, these gifts have been unrestricted, allowing the funds to be used to support any priority need of ASCE. Other gifts that have been designated for a specific purpose: scholarships and fellowships that help promising civil engineering students complete their education; civil engineering research; improvements in the ASCE World Headquarters; and building relationships between civil engineers in the U.S. and civil engineers around the world.
How to become a Member of the Legacy Society
Individuals who notify the ASCE Foundation that they have provided for a future gift to the ASCE Foundation, in any of the following ways, will be recognized by name (or, if requested, anonymously) as members of the Legacy Society.
- Bequest – Through a will or living trust, you may give the ASCE Foundation a specific dollar amount, a particular asset, or some portion of the residue of your estate after your other beneficiaries have been provided for.
- Life Insurance – By naming the ASCE Foundation as beneficiary of a life insurance policy, you may be able to provide a larger charitable gift than you would otherwise feel capable of making.
- Retirement Assets – you may provide for a future gift to the ASCE Foundation by leaving the Foundation all or a portion of your remaining retirement assets by naming the ASCE Foundation as a beneficiary or your retirement plan(s).
What are the Benefits of Legacy Society Membership?
The Legacy Society is a way for the ASCE Foundation to thank and recognize donors, during their lifetime, for providing future gifts. The Foundation often learns of a person’s generosity through a legacy gift only when the gift is received from their estate. While recognition and thanks are among the most important benefits of membership, we know that many individuals prefer to keep their future gifts confidential. You may choose to have your name listed in the roster of Legacy Society members, or you may choose to be an anonymous member. We will respect the wishes of donors who desire to be anonymous. Other benefits include:
- You will be personally recognized by name in the ASCE Foundation’s Annual Report,
- A certificate of membership in The ASCE Foundation Legacy Society,
- Complimentary planned giving guides,
- Recognition in ASCE publications such as ASCE News and website, and
- Invitations to special civil engineering Legacy Society seminars and gatherings.
Legacy Gifts Information
If you're not sure where to begin, try our Build Your Gift planner. By answering a few basic questions, this interactive tool steps you through the process of narrowing down your choices. It's fun and easy to use!
For more information on joining the ASCE Foundation Legacy Society - or making a gift to the ASCE Foundation through a planned gift such as a will, trust, life insurance or retirement plan beneficiary designation, or similar deferred gift - please contact the ASCE Foundation at: 703-295-6342 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit our website at your convenience, 24/7, at www.asce.org/foundation/plannedgiving.