The Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE established the SEI Fellow (F.SEI) grade of membership to recognize a select group of distinguished SEI members as leaders and mentors in the structural engineering profession.
The benefits of becoming an SEI Fellow include recognition via SEI communications and at the annual Structures Congress along with a distinctive SEI Fellow wall plaque and pin, and use of the F.SEI designation. There is no increase in dues for the SEI Fellow member grade. SEI Fellows are invited to serve on the selection committee for future SEI Fellows.
SEI members who meet the SEI Fellow criteria below are encouraged to apply to advance to the grade of SEI Fellow.
See the complete list of SEI Fellows.
SEI Fellow Criteria
- Must advance from grade of SEI Member.
- Must have had responsible charge for a minimum of ten years of important work in structural engineering and be qualified to direct, conceive, plan, or design engineering works – OR - have had responsible charge for a minimum of ten years, of important industrial, business, construction, educational, editorial, research, or engineering society activity, requiring the knowledge and background gained from engineering training and experience.
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer or Structural Engineer in the United States or in the country in which the Member resides (if such licensure is available).
- Must be nominated by an Organizational Entity of the Institute (this includes SEI Board of Governors, SEI Committees and SEI Chapters).
- Must provide three references from SEI members; at least two references must be from a current SEI Fellow.
What are the benefits of advancing to SEI Fellow?
- Recognition as a leader in the structural engineering profession, as someone who has attained this distinction and has made an ongoing commitment to, and to supporting SEI leadership in the profession.
- Increased visibility as an SEI Fellow, including annual announcement containing bios and pictures of newly elected SEI Fellows. In addition, names of SEI Fellows will be included on the SEI website.
- SEI Fellows will receive an exclusive and impressive SEI Fellow wall plaque along with a distinctive SEI Fellow pin.
- Enhanced distinction at Structures Congress, including a distinctive SEI Fellow namebadge, and priority SEI Fellow registration at Structures Congresses.
- Honored with use of F.SEI credential
Advancing to the SEI Fellow Grade
There is no direct admission to the SEI Fellow grade. SEI Fellow status must be attained by professional accomplishments via application and election by the SEI Fellow Review Committee (SFRC).
Eligibility: Review the SEI Fellow Requirements and Guidelines
Submission Deadline: Completed SEI Fellow application packages (including application, nomination and three required references) are due December 1 for induction at Structures Congress the following year.
To prepare your SEI Fellow application, we recommend you view the full application in advance and allow sufficient time to prepare all materials required before you fill out and submit the application online. Click here to print a full copy of the application for your reference. While completing the application online, you will not be able to save the application as you go, but must complete and submit the application during one session. Once you submit the online form you will receive a confirmation response and a copy of the completed form in your email for your records.
To submit a complete SEI Fellow application package online follow the steps below:
- Applicant verifies name spelling, updates credential and contact info at www.asce.org/myprofile or call ASCE Customer Service at (800) 548-ASCE (2723) for assistance.
- Applicant submits SEI Fellow Application online
- Applicant requests Nominator to submit SEI Fellow Nomination Form online
- Applicant requests three References to submit SEI Fellow Reference form online
Review Procedure for SEI Fellow Applications
All applications will be thoroughly considered by the SEI Fellow Review Committee (SFRC). The SFRC is composed of one SEI Fellow; one SEI Past President, one current SEI Board member, and one member from the SEI Membership Committee and meets as needed to review applications.
All applications for advancement to the SEI Fellow grade are handled by SEI staff. The application will be initially reviewed to ensure that all documents have been received, at which time the application and accompanying documents will be scheduled for review at the next meeting of the SFRC. Advancement to the SEI Fellow grade requires unanimous assent of the SFRC. SFRC is authorized to grant waivers of any requirement, upon unanimous assent of the SFRC. All applicants who are approved for advancement to the SEI Fellow grade will be notified by SEI staff.
Any applicants who are not approved for advancement to SEI Fellow subsequent to SFRC review will receive an explanation from the SFRC, and the applicant may choose to submit additional documentation for consideration. Any SEI Fellow applicant who is not unanimously approved may follow the approved appeals procedures as described in the ASCE Rules of Policy and Procedure.
SEI Fellow Program contact:
(800) 548-2723 ext. 6195, direct (703) 295-6195