2015 O.H. Ammann Research Fellowship in Structural Engineering
Application Deadline: November 1, 2014
Do not wait until the last day to apply. ASCE is scheduled to launch a new website on November 1 which may cause disruptions for the Ammann Fellowship application.
1. Applicant must be member of the Society (membership applications may be submitted with scholarship application), in any grade, and must be in good standing at the time of award;
2. The purpose of the Fellowship is to encourage the creation of new knowledge in the field of structural design and construction, and should be used for that purpose;
3. During the tenure of this fellowship, the recipient may not work on research projects other than that for which this fellowship has been granted; but recipients may accept other awards if the conditions of such awards are the same as those for this fellowship;
4. Evidence must be shown throughout the application that the recipient has the ability to conceive and explore original ideas in the field of structural engineering.
The application is comprised of three sections: (1) Written Documentation, (2) Letters of Recommendation, (3) Transcripts. Please fill out the online application and submit your Written Documentation as a single PDF that includes parts a, b, c, d, and e. Letters of recommendation (part f) must be uploaded separately by your nominators. Have transcript (part g) emailed to Susan Reid.
a) Completed application form;
b) Personal essay on why you should receive this Fellowship. The essay shall be no more than 500 words and shall highlight why you chose to become a civil engineer, your specific ASCE Student Chapter involvement, any special financial needs and your long term goals and plans;
c) A detailed statement indicating how the Fellowship monies will be used;
d) Provide a description of the proposed research and its objectives, including a statement from the institution at which the research is to be done that the applicant and proposed research are acceptable to the institution;
e) A one to two page resume should be attached which includes honors, activities, organizations, ASCE student chapter activities including any offices held, and any work experience;
f) Minimum of two letters of recommendation. Recommendations must be submitted via the on-line system (must respond to #4 in Eligibility), and;
g) Official or unofficial transcript. A digital copy of an official transcript must be sent to Susan Reid, if this is not possible an unofficial transcript can be added to the submitted PDF.
How to Apply:
Before logging onto the application website have the following prepared. Once you begin the submittal process online, you must complete it and submit in one session (the system cannot save a partially completed application).:
1) Create one single PDF to upload that includes the following five components of the Written Documentation (parts a-e):
a) Completed application form (download form here)
b) Personal essay
c) Statement about how Fellowship monies will be used
d) Description of research
2) Names of the two people writing your recommendations; you will need to instruct the writers of your letters of recommendation to upload them via this website.
3) Information on how the Official transcripts will be sent to SEI (digitally from your institution or included in the PDF)
Mailed applications will no longer be accepted. All applications and recommendation letters must be made through the online application by November 1, 2014. All official transcripts should be emailed directly to Susan Reid by November 1, 2014.
Stipend for the Fellowship will be at least $5000. The following year of award, the recipient may apply (prior to November 1) for a renewal. The additional stipend is to be determined annually based on funds available from the endowment. The Research Fellow is required to submit a full report on completed research to the SEI Technical Activities Division Executive Committee.
All application requirements must be fulfilled.
Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.
Questions: Contact Susan Reid