View Important System Requirements for running this course.
Avoiding Problems in Specifying Metal Roofing
Instructor Information: Alexander Newman, P.E., F.ASCE
Course Length: 1.5 Hours
This webinar was co-sponsored by ASCE's Structural Engineering Institute and ASCE Continuing Education.
Purpose and Background
Metal roofing, long found in pre-engineered buildings, is becoming extremely popular in conventional buildings as well. Many shopping malls and stand-alone commercial buildings now sport familiar green or blue metal roofs. Architects usually specify metal roofing, but its construction involves some complex technical issues that call for engineering expertise. Indeed, many roofing problems stem from a basic lack of understanding – and thus an improper selection – on the part of the specifiers. With many metal roofing systems available on the market, it is important to grasp how these systems differ from one another.
The webinar provides an overview of the various types of metal roofing available in the United States and discusses their relative advantages and disadvantages. The main objective of this webinar is to enable designers to realize where to use various metal roofing systems and to choose among the available types of roofing seams and support conditions. With the basics of metal roofing explained, the discussion moves to cover a variety of technical information, such as the pros and cons of the available wind-uplift testing methods, the recommended minimum slopes for various systems, and how various types of roof insulation influence the product selection. The topic of avoiding failures of metal roofing includes the discussion of the common reasons for these failures and the steps designers can take to minimize them. The subject of roofing renovation is also discussed.
- Explore the basics of metal roofing systems
- Learn about the difference between through-fastened and standing-seam roofing and under what circumstances their use may be appropriate
- Explore the controversy surrounding the minimum roof slope requirement for various types of metal roofing
- Discover how metal roofing fits into the building’s structural system
- Discuss the commonly used wind-uplift testing methods
Structural and civil engineers, architects, and owners seeking to learn about the design of metal roofing systems will benefit from this webinar.
- Where metal roofing is used
- Types of metal roofing
- Seam configurations
- Structural loads acting on metal roofing
- The role of metal roofing in bracing purlins
- Specification pitfalls
- Testing for uplift
- Avoiding failures
- Renovation of metal roofing
- A short case study