View Important System Requirements for running this course.
ASCE 7-10 Snow Load Provisions
Instructor information: Michael O’Rourke, Ph.D., P.E.
Course Length: 1 Hour
This webinar was co-sponsored by ASCE's Structural Engineering Institute and ASCE Continuing Education.
Purpose and Background
This webinar will provide practicing structural engineers with an understanding of the new, updated and changed snow load provisions of ASCE 7-10. Attendees will learn the basis for the changes to snow provisions including the “what” (specific details of the new provisions), and the “why” (reasons for the changes).
The webinar will cover all 12 sections of ASCE 7-10. For each section there will be a brief review of what is unchanged from the 2005 provisions and then a more detailed discussion of the ‘what’ and ‘why’ of the new provisions. Specifically, the webinar will cover the following new provisions of ASCE 7-10: clarification of the minimum load for low sloped roofs, eave ice dam loads, and drift loads at RTUs; revisions to drift loads on hip and gable roofs, and ponding loads; and new provisions for sliding and drift loads on adjacent but separated roofs, and thermal factors for freezer buildings. The webinar will conclude with a question and answer session.
After completion of the webinar, engineers will be able to determine and understand:
- Drift loads at RTU’s
- Sliding loads on separated roofs
- Drift loads on separated roofs
- Minimum snow loads for low sloped roofs
- Revised geometric limits for gable roof drifts
- Revised thermal factors for freezer buildings
- Which roof geometries require ponding loads
- Understand the snow load hazard
- Learn appropriate snow loading considerations
- Avoid collapse from inadequate design loading
This webinar is intended for both private and public sector structural engineers involved in the design, analysis and/or review of building structures. Although not absolutly necessary, it is expected that attendees have a working knowledge of the ASCE 7-5 snow load provisions. The webinar will focus on what is NEW in the 7-10 provisions, as opposed to a general review of snow loading provisions.
- Section by section review of what’s unchanged in ASCE 7-10
- Section by section discussion of what’s new in ASCE 7-10
- Questions/Answers Session