View Important System Requirements for viewing this course.
Designing Buildings With Overhead Cranes
INSTRUCTOR: Alexander Newman, P.E., F.ASCE
Course Length: 1.5 Hours
"The instructor did a great job presenting the broad points as a checklist with enough detail for use."Purpose and Background
Industrial buildings with overhead cranes present a particular set of challenges for structural designers. The crane manufacturers design the proprietary framing and nonstructural components of the cranes themselves. The design of crane supports, however, belongs to the building structural engineers. These engineers often have many questions about structural requirements for the buildings intended to house overhead cranes.
What type of overhead crane is best suited for the application at hand? Which support scheme is optimal for the desired crane capacity? Is the structural frame rigid enough for a trouble-free operation of the crane? What if there are a number of cranes within the building? Which deflection criteria should be used for runway girders? Can an over-head crane be added into an existing metal building system? And just how much headroom and lateral clearance is needed for the proposed crane type and capacity?
The webinar discusses these and many other practical issues involved in the design of buildings with overhead cranes. It covers the most common types of overhead cranes used in industrial buildings, such as monorails, under-hung cranes, and top-running cranes. For each crane type the instructor discusses the range of the available capacities and the support alternatives for structural-steel and pre-engineered buildings. You will learn about the design criteria for crane runway beams and discover the publicly available software and sources for the design of crane girders, monorail-supporting beams, and stepped columns.
- Learn about the general types of overhead cranes used in industrial buildings
- Become familiar with the practical methods of designing crane supports for various types of overhead cranes
- Explore the common types of overhead cranes, their service classifications, and their suitability for various circumstances
- Examine practical alternatives for supporting underhung cranes and monorails from the steel superstructure
- Learn about the design requirements for strength and stiffness of runway beams for various types of cranes
- Discover the pitfalls of using some common details for lateral support of runway beams
Structural and civil engineers, facility managers, and building officials seeking to broaden their knowledge of designing buildings with overhead cranes will benefit from this webinar.
- Types and service classifications of overhead cranes
- The overhead crane system
- Underhung bridge cranes
- Design of runway beans for monorails and underhung cranes
- Top-running bridge cranes
- Crane runway beams
- Runway beam supports
- Building planning
- Crane accessories
- Conclusion, final Q&A