View Important System Requirements for running this course.
The Five Habits of Highly Effective Marketers
Instructor Information: Stuart G. Walesh, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, Dist.M.ASCE
Course Length: 1 Hour
Purpose and Background
Engineering firms value “seller-doers,” that is, engineers and other professionals who are effective both in marketing and in managing projects. Assuming that you are familiar with marketing fundamentals (e.g., as presented in the ASCE webinar “Marketing 101: It’s Everybody’s Business”), this webinar will take you up to the next level. You, as a project or other manager, can use this webinar to enhance your group’s marketing effectiveness. You, as an individual professional can, after learning about the five habits, adopt some or all and then contribute more to your organization while also building career security.
This 90-minute webinar advocates developing habits that enhance your effectiveness in the people-intensive marketing process. These habits enable engineers, architects, and other technical professionals to almost automatically say and do the right things so that you, your E/A/C firm or other employer, and the client/owner/stakeholder benefit. For most individuals some of these positive habits will replace negative counterproductive habits.
The handout accompanying the webinar contains all graphics used in the webinar. It also includes references to self-study resources such as articles, papers, books, enewsletters, websites, and professional/business organizations.
- Know 5 habits of the most effective marketers
- Understand the 3 part knowledge pyramid
- Learn the 5 whys method of asking questions
- Appreciate the 5 levels of listening
- Connect the 3 part marketing model to the 5 habits
- Identify 30 marketing questions
- Understand the power of good and bad habits
- Reduce marketing-related stress
- Make better use of your time
- Refine your question asking skill
- Improve marketing effectiveness
- Engage more personnel in the marketing effort
- Enhance seller-doer roles
This webinar is intended primarily for members of E/A/C firms who want to elevate their marketing effectiveness. Once marketing knowledge and skills are learned, the next step is to internalize the essentials in the form of the habits that are presented in this webinar. Public, academic, and volunteer sector professionals who view their roles as including marketing, either as offering services to their stakeholders or in interacting with service providers, will also benefit from this webinar.
- Carrying baggage
- Marketing versus selling
- The seller-doer challenge
- A 3-part marketing model
- 5 powerful habits
- Learning good habits
- The knowledge pyramid
- Habits connected to the marketing model
- Suggested questions
- Resources for additional study