Edited by Zhanping You, Ala R. Abbas, and Linbing Wang
Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) GSP 182
/ 178 pp.
Permissions for Reuse
Selected papers from the Symposium on Pavement Mechanics and Materials at the 18th Engineering Mechanics Division Conference, held in Blacksburg, Virginia, June 3-6, 2007. Sponsored by Pavements Committee of the Geo-Institute of ASCE.
This Geotechnical Special Publication contains 16 papers covering a variety of timely issues regarding the characterization, modeling, and simulation of asphalt mixtures, asphalt pavements, and concrete mixtures, eight of which were presented at the conference and eight of which were invited.
Topics dealing with pavement mechanics include:
- modeling and simulations of asphalt concrete;
- interactions between aggregates, mastics, and voids;
- use of finite-element-method (FEM) and discrete-element-method (DEM);
- continuum approaches including nonlinear viscoelastic analysis and temperature dependency;
- pavement stress and strain analysis;
- laboratory characterization of modified asphalt concrete;
- pavement fatigue analysis;
- tire-pavement interaction; and
- coefficient of thermal expansion on concrete for rigid pavement design.
GSP 182 will be valuable to geotechnical engineers, pavement engineers, and all those involved in the field of pavement mechanics.