The Fink Deck Truss Bridge is thought to have been originally used on the Norfolk and Western mainline railway. It was moved to its present location and converted to a vehicular bridge over a railroad spur in 1893 when the Norfolk and Western mainline was moved. It was relocated again in 1985 to Lynchburg's Riverside Park to serve as a pedestrian bridge.
As railroads expanded throughout the U.S. in the mid-19th century, engineers raced to design bridges that were stronger and longer, without adding too much weight. A number of truss systems were developed, including two patented designs by Albert Fink: the Fink Deck Truss, in which most of the supporting members were below the deck, and the Fink Through Truss , in which the truss members were above the deck.
The Fink Deck Truss Bridge in Lynchburg is the only survivor in the U.S. of this truss system that was widely used from 1854 to 1875. The patented truss bridge was a uniquely American structural engineering solution to the need for long-span railroad bridges to carry heavy loads. Important to the early days of railroading in America, the Fink truss bridges contributed significantly to the nation's growth and economy.