Elected Region 8 Governor
When I started my undergraduate engineering studies decades ago with a National Honors Scholarship, I wanted to help my community live and thrive. I realized then that engineering touches all aspects of life.
Fast forward a few decades and I became involved with the Tacoma Olympia Section. I became the first acknowledged Legislative Liaison in recent memory. I learned about the failing infrastructure of Washington State. I participated in an ASCE Legislative Fly-in and met with legislative aides. I volunteered to be a part of the 2019 Washington State Infrastructure Report.
COVID-19 arrived as I was finishing my term as president of the Tacoma Olympia Section. We were planning a full and productive year of activities. Our member outreach activities were successful, and we won the membership awards for a small section and younger member categories.
Then all aspects of life changed:
- State of our infrastructure is in more need than ever before.
- There is more need for engineers than ever before.
- Practicing engineers and future engineers need more support than ever before.
I submit my request to help provide that support.
- MEM Degree in Project Management, St. Martin’s University, Lacey, WA, 2007
- BS Degree in Civil Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI, 1981
Certification and licenses
- Licensed Civil Engineer, State of Washington, 2004-present
- Certified Project Management Professional, 2007-present
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, 2018-present
- PMCE7 Consulting, Owner and Principal, Olympia, WA, 2019-present
- Thurston County Public Works, Civil Engineer – Traffic Engineering and Operations Section, Olympia, WA, 1998-2019
- University of Hawaii Leeward Community College, Manager – Facilities Operations and Management Department, HI, 1996-1998
- American Society of Civil Engineers Tacoma-Olympia Chapter, President, Mentoring Lecturer, and Legislative Advocate, 2019-2021
- American Society of Civil Engineers Washington State Infrastructure Report Card, Contributing Author for Stormwater and Wastewater Sections, 2019
Other volunteer activities
- Saint Martin’s University Engineering Advisory Board, current member
- National Association of County Engineers, Former Legislative Committee member and Constitution Committee member
- Safe Kids Thurston County, Former Youth Pedestrian Taskforce Chair
- Project Management Institute Olympia Chapter, Past Vice-President, former Regional Lecturer
- FEMA Institute, Achievement Award, 2004
- American Public Works Washington State Chapter, Bronze Achievement Award, 2015
- Washington Infrastructure Report Card Contributions