Region 10 Director Official Nominee
I am inspired by ASCE Vision of “Civil engineers are global leaders, building a better quality of life” and working in this direction as an academic and engineer for the past 38 years. I have contributed in various capacities such as academic, professional, served the ASCE in leadership roles at local and society levels. As Director, Region 10, I wish to promote the technical and professional development of Region 10 members through meetings and study of local engineering practices as well as international practices. Both offline and online meetings and information exchange provide excellent opportunities in this regard. ASCE provides the spirit of cooperation among engineering and with other engineering societies in matters of common interest. Hence, collaborative efforts with local engineering communities and professional associations will be made. Efforts towards engineering education and knowledge exchange from the grassroots level to the highest levels to increase communication, collaboration, and the exchange of ideas between Sections, Regions, and the Society will be made.
As envisaged in the Vision 2025 document of ASCE, demands for energy, drinking water, clean air, safe waste disposal, and transportation are driving the requirements of environmental protection and infrastructure development. These requirements have been significant in Region 10. Practice of sustainable, resilient design and construction practices considering climate change effects have become very essential. Dealing with the above challenges and opportunities require intra-disciplinary, cross-disciplinary, and multidisciplinary collaboration on projects and in research and development. Integration with advances in areas such as information technology, intelligent infrastructure, machine learning and digital simulation are needed. The role of engineers as i) custodians of the built environment; ii) stewards of the natural environment and its resources; iii) innovators and integrators of ideas and technology, iv) managers of risk and uncertainty caused by natural events, accidents, and other threats; and v) leaders in discussions and decisions shaping public environmental and infrastructure policy need to be addressed by professionals. ASCE needs to identify special courses and programs to make the above roles effective. As past Governor of Region 10 for six years (2014-2020) and having travelled widely with good connections both in academic and practising engineering circles, I hope to impress on the engineering community to have courses in the area of sustainable engineering based on ASCE continuing education content and also the improvements required. There is a need to re-examine the above programs in the light of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that need to be adhered to by all Nations by 2030 to reduce Green House Gas (GHG) emissions. There is a need to implement the above in professional practice and I will work towards developing guidelines in this direction.
There is a need to increase the membership and also take necessary steps for promotion of certificate programs of ASCE and also combine the local expertise to promote growth in different Sections and Branches. I have a number of papers in ASCE journals, have been serving as Editorial Board Member for two journals and organized international workshops for ASCE for knowledge and practice dissemination. I have also contributed at the Society-level in leadership positions. With good expertise in academics, professional practice as well as international connections in different countries, I hope to effectively follow the strategic plan of ASCE and contribute as Director, Region 10.
- Ph.D, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1991
- M. E, Anna University, Chennai India, 1987
- B. Tech., Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, India, 1983
- Indian Institute of Science, Professor, 2009-2021
- Indian Institute of Science, Associate Professor, 2003-2009
- Region 10 Governor, 2014-2020
- India Section President, 2013
- President, Southern Region, India Section, 2012
Other volunteer activities
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste, 2014-2021
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Geomechanics, 2015-2021
- Distinguished Service Medal Award in Region 10, 2021
- Wesley W. Horner Award for 2017 for “Risk and Reliability Analysis of Multi Barrier System for Near Surface Disposal Facilities”. J. Hazard. Toxic Radioact. Waste, 2016, 20(2): 04015014.
- Best Theoretical Oriented Paper Award of the EWRI (Environmental and Water Resources Institute, USA) ASCE for 2015 for the paper Influence of Spatially Variable Geotechnical Properties of MSW on Stability of Landfill Slopes; J. Hazard. Toxic Radioact. Waste, ASCE, 18(1), 27–37.
- Best paper award of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG) USA for the paper Optimum design of cantilever retaining walls using target reliability approach. International Journal of Geomechanics, Journal of American Society for Civil Engineers (ASCE), 8(4): 240-252.
- Best paper award of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG) USA for the paper Failure Mechanisms of Pile Foundations in Liquefiable Soil: Parametric Study published in International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, 10(2).74-84.
- Best Theoretical Oriented Paper Award of the EWRI (Environmental and Water Resources Institute, USA) ASCE for 2011 for the paper Prediction of Long-Term Municipal Solid Waste Landfill Settlement Using Constitutive Model. Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, ASCE, Vol.14 (2).139-150.
- 40 ASCE Journal papers, 1993-present
- Udai P. Singh and G. L. Sivakumar Babu (2017) Urbanization Challenges in Emerging Economies: Resilience and Sustainability of Infrastructure: ASCE India Conference 2017: https://ascelibrary.org/doi/book/10.1061/9780784482032
- Nazeeh K. M.; G. L. Sivakumar Babu (2021) Reliability-based robust design of raft foundation and effect of spatial variability: ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A: Civil Engineering s. DOI: 10.1061/AJRUA6.0001171
- Shubham A. Kalore, Sivakumar Babu G. L. and Ratnakar R. Mahajan (2021) An approach to estimate hydraulic conductivity function from soil water retention curve for non-cohesive soils, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0003917
- Shubham A. Kalore, Sivakumar Babu G. L. and Ratnakar R. Mahajan (2021) Probabilistic Design Framework for Granular Filters, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002674
- Deepthi Mary Dilip; Sivakumar Babu G. L (2021) Reliability-Based Design Optimization of Flexible Pavements Using Kriging Models, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements: 10.1061/JPEODX.0000306.
- Fathima Sana VK; Nazeeh KM; Deepthi Mary Dilip; Sivakumar Babu GL (2021) Reliability-based design optimization of shallow foundation on cohesionless soil based on surrogate-based numerical modeling, International Journal of Geomechanics. (accepted for publication)
- Parameswaran, T G, Sabina B and G L Sivakumar Babu (2020) Role of cover systems to control methane migration from dumpsites, J.Hazard. Toxic, Radioactive Waste, ASCE, 24(4), p.04020044.
- Sughosh P. Prathima B.Arun kumar, Anusree N. and Sivakumar Babu G. L (2020) Remediation of Typical Municipal Solid Waste Dumpsite in Bangalore City, J. Hazard. Toxic Radioactive Waste, 2021, 25(1): 04020056.