Elected Region 9 Governor
I envision meeting ASCE members section-wide and connecting them with national, regional, and local resources. At Caltrans, I did similar--participating in national committees, meetings, and conferences. I thrived on sharing a method or detail that worked well for Caltrans—and in turn bringing ideas back for potential use in California.
I envision speaking up for the government worker, offering ideas to better attract and serve these engineers. Having spent almost an entire career in one state agency, I have knowledge of government constraints. I am passionate for its engineers and their needs for collaboration and especially recognition. A matrix is needed of the 17 Branches, which counties each Branch includes, contact information for award nominations, and deadlines. We’ll benefit from more project nominations and perhaps a few new members.
I envision being a champion of frequent and effective communication:
- Verifying Branches update their roster from National at least quarterly;
- Seeing that we’re active on social media; and
- Posting the Legislative Advocate’s monthly report, if not a monthly newsletter.
I envision being the Sacto-Section encourager of all—especially women, minorities, and the disadvantaged. I am proud that ASCE has a strong stance on ethics, diversity, and equity.
- BSCE, Purdue University, 1981
- MSCE, Purdue University, 1983
- Technical University of Hannover (now Leibniz University), W. Germany; 1982-1983
- MSE, Princeton University, 1991
Certification and licenses
- Professional Civil Engineer, State of California
- Professional Civil-Structural Engineer, State of Oregon
- Civil Engineer and Assistant State Bridge Engineer, Caltrans, 1991-2020
- English teacher, Tokyo, 1988
- Structural Engineer, CH2M Hill Inc., Corvallis, Oregon, 1983-1987
- Capital Branch
- Vice President of Membership, 2020-2021
- President, 2021-2022
- Member, Japan Chapter, 1988
- President, Purdue Student Chapter, 1981
Other volunteer activities
- Neighborhood Association, current Committee Member and 2022 Board Member
- St. Mark’s UMC, Trustee, 2005-2006
- Japanese American Citizens League, Florin Chapter President, 2000
- AASHTO Resolution of Honor, Chair of Bridge Loads Technical Committee, 2006-2016
- Purdue Civil Engineering Alumni Achievement Award, 2008
- James Roberts Bridge Engineer Award, 2005
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute’s Aspire Magazine, "Riego Road Overcrossing”, Use of Spliced Girders, April 2014
- Transportation Research Record, “Load and Resistance Factor Design of Integral Bent Caps”, 2007
- ASCE Bridge Engineering Journal, May 2007, and US Japan Seismic Workshop Proceedings, 2007, “Statistical Significance of Less Common Load Combinations”