Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established in 1977 and was endowed by the firm of Moffatt & Nichol, Engineers, in honor of John G. Moffatt and Frank E. Nichol. The award is designed to recognize new ideas and concepts that can be efficiently implemented to expand the engineering or construction techniques available for harbor and coastal projects. Development of such concepts can occur in any of the academic, design or construction disciplines. Results of such contributions are more efficient techniques or understandings that translate directly into applications which benefit the profession and the public at large. The award was officially instituted by the Board of Direction in October 1977.
- 2020: Steven A. Hughes, Ph.D., P.E., D.CE, M.ASCE
- The award may be made annually to a member of ASCE who has made a definite contribution in the fields of harbor and coastal engineering. Every third year, coinciding with the Ports Conference, preference will be given to a practitioner in the field of port or harbor engineering. This contribution may have been made either in the form of written presentations or notable performance.
- Not more than 1 presentation of the award is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than 1 person. In such cases, duplicate or multiple awards are tendered only if the balance then available in the award fund is adequate for the purpose. No one shall receive the award or a portion thereof more than once.
- Nomination is to be made by a panel of three judges appointed by the Coasts, Oceans, Ports, and Rivers Institute Board of Governors from recommendations made by the technical committees. The panel consists of one recognized professional engineer from each of the following fields: (a) academic faculty member; (b) practicing design engineer; and (c) marine/coastal engineering construction contractor. The term of each member of the panel of judges shall be 3 years. The terms shall be staggered to allow for overlapping service. The COPRI Board of Governors shall appoint a liaison member to the Panel of Judges. Final approval is the responsibility of the ASCE Executive Committee.
- The award shall consist of a specially designed plaque and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- In the absence of sufficient qualified nominations, the Moffatt and Nichol Panel of Judges can choose not to make a recommendation in a given year.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191