2014 COPRI Project Excellence Awards Announced
Monday, September 8, 2014
Large Project - Zidell Waterfront Cleanup
The Zidell Waterfront Cleanup project was conducted in collaboration with ZRZ Realty on a 32-acre parcel located along the Willamette River.
The property has been the site of continuous industrial use for over 100 years, and is currently in-use as a construction facility for barges.
These industrial operations resulted in the release of PCBs, asbestos, lead paint and other harmful contaminants to the upland, riverbank, and river bottom.
The cleanup is the largest privately funded cleanup effort of industrial land along Portland's Willamette River.
The team collaborated closely with the local transit authority, TriMet, to facilitate the success of the Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail bridge construction. Close coordination allowed both projects to complete required work in the same four-month, in-water construction window.
Nearly 20,000 CY of contaminated soil was removed from the riverbank. About 2,700 linear feet of riverbank in downtown Portland have been planted with native plant species.
The project facilitates the redevelopment of the property while allowing the barge construction operation to continue.
The Zidell team restored the contaminated site without causing disruption to ongoing business and resulted in the successful mitigation of decades of military-related aquatic sediment and landside contamination.
Zidell Waterfront Team:
- ZRZ Realty - Project Owner
- NorthWest Ecosystem Services - Remediation Project Manager
- Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc. - Remedial Investigation, Engineering Design, Engineering Oversight
- GeoDesign, Inc. - Geotechnical Engineering and Oversight
- Andersen Construction Company - Construction Manager
- Division 2 Services, Inc. - Project Superintendent
- Watershed Science and Engineering - Hydraulic Engineering
- Quigg Brothers, Inc. - General Contractor
- HME Construction, Inc. - Sub-Contractor
- 3 Kings Environmental Construction - Sub-Contractor
Small Project - Gulf Gateway Terminal
Port of New Orleans' Public Bulk Terminal circa 1965 The Gulf Gateway Terminal, submitted by Waldemar S. Nelson and Company, Inc, was an extremely fast-tracked project, driven by the need to increase delivery of domestically produced crude oil from multiple producing fields.
The project site is located on Port of New Orleans' property previously developed as their Public Bulk Terminal in the 1960's then re-developed as a rail ferry prior to Hurricane Katrina.
The project scope was to quickly design, permit and put into operation an efficient, compliant, environmentally sound and operationally safe project to transload 70,000 bbls of light sweet crude from unit trains to shallow draft river barges or deeper draft ocean-going barges.
Existing structures from a previously unfinished rail ferry installation were analyzed and adapted for the new terminal. The entire Gulf Gateway Terminal project is an adaptive re-use of valuable, flood-protected waterfront real estate owned by the Port of New Orleans.
Gulf Gateway Terminal Team
- Bulk Resources - Project Owner
- Waldemar S. Nelson & Co., Inc. - Overall Engineering
- Applied Mechanical Technology - Control Systems
- Pointer Smith Contracting Corp. - Rail
- Eustis Engineering Co., Inc. - Geotech
- BFM Corporation - Surveying
- Boh Bros. Construction Co. LLC - Construction
- Sunland Construction Inc. & Affiliates - Construction
- Balfour Beatty Rail - Rail
- Favalora Constructors, Inc. - Construction
- Handling Specialties - Gantry