If you are not currently logged into ASCE, you will be asked to login or create an ASCE account.
Introduction and technical background
- Week 1: Introduction and fundamental concepts of computer methods of structural analysis, description of limit states that must be assessed in prescriptive and performance‐based codes
- Week 2: Overview of the finite element method (frame, shell, and membrane elements)
- Week 3: 3‐D computer modeling of building structures
- Week 4: Boundary conditions, constraints conditions, modeling of structural elements and connections
Development of mathematical models
- Week 5: Modeling the diaphragms (flexible, semi‐rigid, rigid)
- Week 6: Soil‐foundation‐structure interaction
- Week 7: Approaches for validation of computed response
- Week 8: Detailed case study: analysis of multi‐story buildings under loads
- Week 9: Second order effects
- Week 10: Sensitivity analysis and optimization using virtual work
- Week 11: Structural dynamics
- Week 12: Topics related to seismic and wind load effects
This course outline is subject to change.