If you are not currently logged into ASCE, you will be asked to log in or create an ASCE account.
Dates and registration coming soon — Let me know when registration opens
2.4 CEUs / 24 PDHs
Member $1545 | Non-member $1895
Purpose & background
The main objective of this course is to familiarize practitioners with permeable pavements with focus on their design, construction, and maintenance. Permeable pavements are constructed of a variety of materials and within a diversity of settings. Historically, permeable pavements were intended only for light traffic areas on well-draining soils that would infiltrate direct rainfall. These systems can now be designed for much heavier loadings in a variety of soil conditions and receive runoff from contributing areas. Proper construction and maintenance are key to ensuring system function over the long-term.
The knowledge gained through this course will enable the participant to list the different types and materials of permeable pavements and systems, explain how permeable pavement systems function, design permeable pavements for a diverse range of settings and performance objectives, list the steps in the construction process, and identify the types of maintenance needed for various problems.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the components and functions of permeable pavements.
- Engage with designers and stakeholders about permeable pavement system options within landscapes.
- List permeable pavement system options for various settings and performance objectives for water quality and hydrology.
- Apply standard methods to correctly size and specify materials for permeable pavement system designs.
- Properly plan steps in constructing permeable pavement systems.
- Describe the operation and maintenance for permeable pavement systems.
- Explain the hydrologic and water quality performance of permeable pavements.
- Discuss the critical design failures and lessons learned.
Who should attend?
- Land development engineers
- Drainage engineers
- Transportation engineers
- Geotechnical engineers
- Engineers with specialties in green stormwater infrastructure