The last date to register for this course is June 1, 2023.
Instructor facilitation from October 24 – December 2. On-demand from December 3 – July 13.
After December 2, the course will remain open, but will be monitored by ASCE staff only until September 7, 2023.
1.0 CEU / 10 PDHs
Member $645 | Non-member $795
Purpose & background
The course will cover the proper procedures for construction of a buried pipeline. There will be many case histories of pipeline failures used to illustrate the importance of correct installation. Terminology, types of pipe, and installation theory will be covered. The types of soils, classifications, laboratory, and field testing will be discussed. The excavation of trenches, foundation treatments, evaluating trench walls, and performing inspections will also be explained. The course will not cover petroleum products pipelines.
Pipeline Installation 2.0 is a textbook encouraged for use as a supplement to this course. Available for purchase on Amazon or Amsterhoward.com.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain why rigid pipe and flexible pipe are installed differently.
- Identify the proper soils for use in bedding, embedment, and backfill.
- Apply the correct way of compacting various soil types.
- Be able to select the appropriate laboratory test for the soils used.
- Design soil support systems for poor soil conditions.
- Develop mix designs for flowable fill.
Who should attend?
- City/county planners
- City/county engineers
- Consulting firms
- Pipeline design engineers
- Specification writers
- Project managers inspectors
- Construction engineers
- Construction foremen
- Pipeline manufacturing personnel
- Pipe salesmen