Objective Resilience Student Paper Competition
Wednesday, January 9, 2019
Sponsored by: EMI Objective Resilience Committee (ORC)
To encourage and promote research, development, understanding, successful and efficient applications of infrastructure resilience in an objective manner.
The EMI Objective Resilience Committee
is sponsoring a student paper competition to commence during the upcoming
2019 EMI Conference
in Pasadena, CA.
- Participant(s) should be a student (any educational level) at the time of submission.
- The lead author / student needs to be present / registrant in the 2019 EMI conference in Pasadena.
- Several co‐authors can submit a single paper.
- Professors / Advisors can be co‐authors. However, the main author should be a student, as per #1, above.
- The paper needs to be accepted to a regular presentation within the conference. Also, a shorter presentation is expected by the lead student in a special session at the EMI conference, see below.
- April 1st, 2019 - Finished paper submission (PDF format) emailed to: (
- (TBD) June 2019 - Oral presentation of the paper during a special session within the 2019 EMI Conference.
- June 20th, 2019 - Winners will be announced during the awards banquet.
The financial awards are $500.00, $300.00, and $200.00 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners, respectively. (
Co‐authoring students will share the monetary prize. Only student authors are eligible for monetary prizes
Financial prizes are donated to Objective Resilience Committee Student Competition by private entities. Specifically, funds for the 2019 prizes were donated by an anonymous donor.
In addition, the top three winners will receive EMI certificates and letters of commendation shall be sent to the top three winners and their school's department head, as appropriate.
- Submit an abstract in the thematic area of objective resilience through the conference paper management system to the track of their choice by the conference deadline.
- Forward the abstract acceptance notification and express interest in the competition to Dr. Mohammed Ettouney (
) within one week of the abstract acceptance notice.
- Submit an eight‐page
2 (double spaced) full paper to the competition organizing committee (email to Dr. Mohammed Ettouney (
April, 1st, 2019. Please use a PDF file type. To ensure consistency, please use the
in preparing your 8 double spaced pages paper. The ASCE manuscript requirements can be found in:http://engineering.missouri.edu/civil/files/asce‐author‐guide‐journals.pdf
- Present the paper at the conference and must be the principal author of the paper.
- Following the special session presentation, a panel of expert judges will choose the top three winning papers. Criteria will be based on: written paper (50 pts.), Presentation quality (30 pts.), and ensuing Q/A period with judges (20 pts.)
Awards will be presented to the competition winners during the award ceremony at the conference.
If the general conference abstract acceptance conflicts with the April 1st deadline, please send a note of interest in participation before April 1st. The send the PDF of the full paper as soon as you get official acceptance from the conference management.
Or four single‐spaced pages.