Dynamics Committee Student Paper Competition 2020
Sponsored by the:
EMI Dynamics Committee
Competition Chair: Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian
The Dynamics Committee (DC) of ASCE-EMI is pleased to announce the 7
Annual Student Paper Competition in Dynamics. The competition is open to any student author contributing to the EMI/PMC 2020 conference in any subfields of Dynamics. Topics of interest include but are not limited to Dynamic Systems and Control, Stochastic Systems, Computational Mechanics, Earthquake Engineering, Model Inversion, System Identification, etc. Only students whose abstracts in this thematic area have been accepted by the Conference are eligible for this paper competition.
- To challenge students to demonstrate high-quality scholarly work and presentation skill sets.
- To provide an opportunity for students to receive recognition within the community, interact with faculties and committee members, and expand their academic network; thus, facilitating future career building for those who accept the challenge and demonstrate outstanding capabilities.
- To increase the involvement of younger professionals in the EMI conferences, particularly in the field of Dynamics.
- To engage student members within the Dynamics Committee, promote further growth as future engineers, develop working relationships with Dynamics Committee members, and prepare them to take on future responsibilities within the technical community.
- To promote high-quality submissions to the flagship journal of EMI, the Journal of Engineering Mechanics.
To be eligible for the competition, a participant should:
- Be full- or part-time undergraduate or graduate student at the time of submission.
- Submit an abstract as the leading author in the thematic area of Dynamics through the conference paper's management system, to the track of their choice, by the conference deadline. Submission to a Dynamics Committee sponsored mini-symposium is particularly encouraged but not required.
- Send an email expressing interest in the competition along with Resume / C.V. of student participant(s), to the Committee Secretary, Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian at
February 15, 2020. Dr. Ebrahimian will reply and provide the paper template by
February 28, 2020.
- Forward the abstract acceptance notification within one week of receipt from the organizers.
- Submit by email the PDF file of the full-length paper (up to four pages, template to be provided) to Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian at
April 01, 2020.
- Register and, if selected, present the paper at the student competition session during the conference.
- Several students and non-student (Advisor / Supervisor / Professor) co-authors can contribute in the paper, but the main/lead author should be a student at the time of submission. The student participant(s) should conduct most of the work associated with the manuscript. Each student may submit only one paper to the competition as the leading author.
- Other students can be included in the competition as co-authors, but the main/lead student author, if shortlisted, should present his/her work at the student competition session during the conference.
Process and Awards
The submitted papers will be evaluated by a panel of expert judges. To avoid conflict of interest, the judges shall not be co-authors of any of the competing papers. Up to five papers will be selected for presentation in a special session at the EMI conference, which will be in addition to the regular presentation within the conference. Up to three winners will receive an EMI certificate and a cash prize. Winners will be selected based on the technical depth and quality of the research work, the quality of the written paper, and the oral presentation. Awards will be presented to the competition winners during the conference.
- January 31, 2020 - EMI Conference abstract submission deadline
- February 15, 2020 - Express interest in participating and send C.V. / resume of student participant(s) by emailing Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian at:
- April 01, 2020 - Full-length paper letter due to:
Proposed deadlines may be adjusted in case a general extension will be granted for the submission deadline for the EMI/PMC 2020 conference.
Participants may not enter more than one EMI 2020 student paper/poster competition.
Please email the Committee's Secretary, Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian, at: