Structural Health Monitoring and Control Committee Student Paper Competition
Competition Chair: Prof. Jian Li
The ASCE EMI-Structural Health Monitoring and Control Committee is pleased to announce the Annual Student Paper Competition in the areas of structural health monitoring, system identification, smart materials and structures, and structural control.
- To increase the involvement of younger professionals in the EMI conferences, particularly in the area of structural health monitoring and control.
- To allow them to interact with the SHMC committee members and to promote further growth as engineers, develop stronger bonds within the SHMC community, and take responsibilities within the technical community.
- To improve their technical writing and presentation skills, as well as to promote high-quality submissions to the flagship journal of EMI, the Journal of Engineering Mechanics.
- The participant for this competition must be a student at the time of submission, and be the lead author of an abstract in the areas of structural health monitoring, system identification, smart materials and structures, and structural control submitted to the EMI abstract submission website by the conference abstract deadline (January 15, 2020). Submission to an SHMC sponsored mini-symposium is encouraged but not required.
- Express interest in participating in the competition by sending an email with the abstract number, authors, and affiliations to Prof. Jian Li (
February 15, 2020.
- Forward the abstract acceptance notification within one week of receipt from the organizers.
- Following the required template provided by the SHMC committee, submit a 4-page full paper to the competition organizing committee. Email to Prof. Jian Li (
March 15, 2020. The student must write the paper as the leading author and should conduct the majority of the work associated with the manuscript. Each student may submit only one paper to the competition as the leading author.
- The paper must be submitted in two versions. The first version is the original paper with authors and affiliations. The second version should be anonymized by deleting the author list and affiliations, while the rest of the second version has to be exactly the same as the first version.
- If the paper is selected as among the finalists, the student participant must register at the EMI 2020 conference and present the paper in a special SHMC session at the EMI conference.
- January 31, 2020 - EMI Conference abstract submission deadline
- February 15, 2020 - Express interest in participating by emailing Prof. Li at:
- March 15, 2020 - 4-page full paper due (see #4 and #5 under "Requirements") to:
- Three winners will be selected and named as the SHMC Student Paper Competition Winners.
- The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will each receive an EMI certificate and cash award. The cash award amounts for 2020 will be announced around late January.
- A certificate of commendation shall be sent to each winner by the SHMC committee.
- A panel of three or more expert judges from the SHMC committee will review the manuscripts. To avoid conflict of interest, the judges shall not be co-author of any of the competing papers.
- The selected top papers (approximately 5 finalists) will be presented by the student participants in a special session at the EMI conference, which will be in addition to the regular presentation within the conference.
- SHMC committee members, who are present at the special session and are not co-authors of the selected top papers, will vote anonymously to rank the presentations.
- Awards will be presented to the competition winners during the EMI conference.
Note: Participants may not enter more than one EMI 2020 student paper/poster competition.