EMI Dynamics Committee Current Activities
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
to provide expertise and service to the Civil Engineering profession regarding all aspects of Structural Dynamics, and in particularly: Soil-Structure Interaction, Earthquake Engineering, Active and Passive Structural Control, Computational Algorithms, System Identification, Wind-induced Vibrations, etc.
Eleni Chatzi, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prizes - 2020 Recipients
Eleni Chatzi, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE(pictured above)
Dr. Chatzi is honored for
"seminal contributions to enable the vision of selfaware infrastructure."
Michele Barbato, Ph.D., P.E., F.EMI, F.SEI, M.ASCE
University of California, Davis
Dr. Barbato is recognized for his outstanding research in "
structural engineering and engineering mechanics, with emphasis on finite element response sensitivity analysis, seismic response steel-concrete composite systems, seismic pounding mitigation, performance-based hurricane engineering and hurricane hazard mitigation, nonstationary stochastic dynamics, multi-hazard performance-based engineering, and sustainable construction materials
Learn More about the Huber Research Prizes
Annual Student Paper Competition - 2020 Winners
- To challenge students to demonstrate high-quality scholarly work and presentation skill sets.
- To provide an opportunity for students to receive recognition within the community, interact with faculties and committee members, and expand their academic network; thus, facilitating future career building for those who accept the challenge and demonstrate outstanding capabilities.
- To increase the involvement of younger professionals in the EMI conferences, particularly in the field of Dynamics
- To engage student members within the Dynamics Committee, promote further growth as future engineers, develop working relationships with Dynamics Committee members, and prepare them to take on future responsibilities within the technical community
- To promote high-quality submissions to the flagship journal of EMI, the Journal of Engineering Mechanics.
Congratulations to the Winners!
P. Zhang, M. Mirshekari, H.Y. Noh (Advisor)
Carnegie Mellon University / Stanford University
"Identification of Multiple Concurrent Walkers Using Footstep-Induced Floor Vibration Sensing"
R. Snaiki, T. Wu (Advisor)
University at Buffalo
"Active Simulation of Transient Wind Fields in a Multiple-Fan Wind Tunnel via Deep Reinforcement Learning"
K.G. Papakonstantinou, G.P. Warn (Advisors)
The Pennsylvania State University
"A Computationally Efficient Scaled Spherical Simplex Filter for Damage Plasticity Consistent State-Space Finite Element Model Identification"
(2020 Competition Chair: Dr. Hamed Ebrahimian, University of Nevada, Reno)
Previous Dynamics Student Paper Competition Winners
- 2019 Winner - Mostafa Mirshekari, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2019 Runner-Ups - Maria Katsidoniotaki, Columbia University and Herta Montoya, Purdue University
- 2018 Winners - Mostafa Mirshekari, Carnegie Mellon University & Ioannis Petromichelakis, Columbia University.
- 2017 Winner - Ketson Roberto Maximiano dos Santos, Columbia University.
- 2016 Winner - Reza Yaghmaie Johns Hopkins University.
Thanks to our 2019 sponsors Kinemetrics, and SC Solutions for their support of the competition!
EMI2021 SYMPOSIA UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE COMMITTEE
- MS 210: Integration of Physics-based Models with Data for Identification, Monitoring, Estimation, and Uncertainty Quantification, organizers: Hamed Ebrahimian, Hae Young Noh, Babak Moaveni, Yang Wang
- MS 240: Safety Assessment of Aging Infrastructure: From Data to Decision, organizers: Suparno Mukhopadhyay, Adrian Brugger, Simos Gerasimidis, Raimondo Betti
- MS 244: Structural Identification and Damage detection, organizers: Eleni Chatzi, Costas Papadimitriou, Babak Moaveni
- MS 252: Recent Advances in Real-time Hybrid Simulation, organizers: Wei Song, Richard Christenson
- MS 256: Complex Dynamics and Vibration Control of Infrastructures Exposed to Single/Multiple Hazards, organizers: Chao Sun, Mariantonieta Gutierrez Soto, Lin Chen, Sriram Narasimhan
- MS 263: Innovations and Advances in Passive, Active, and Semi-active Structural Control, organizers: Nick Wierschem, P. Scott Harvey
- MS 264: Emerging Advances in Wind Hazard Assessment and Mitigation, organizers: Teng Wu, Yanlin Guo
- MS 300: Recent advances in Performance-Based Engineering for Single and Multiple Hazards, organizers: Michele Barbato, Joel Conte
- MS 303: Characterizing Uncertainties in Response of Structures and Communities to Fire Hazard, organizers: Negar Elhami Khorasani, Jenny Sideri, Hamed Ebrahimian
- MS 309: Recent Advances in Stochastic Dynamics and Signal Processing Techniques, organizers: Apostolos Psaros, Ioannis Kougioumtzoglou, Antonina Pirrotta, Athanasios Pantelous
- MS 311: Advances in Computational Methods for Uncertainty Quantification and Robust/Performance-based Design of Structures and Systems Exposed to Natural and Man-made Hazards, organizers: Seymour Spence, Alexandros Taflanidis, Michael Shields
- MS 313: Advanced Analysis for Earthquake Engineering, organizers: Kevin Wong, Ting Lin, Steven McCabe
Research Group Profile
Design of Resilient, Engineered, Autonomous, and Multifunctional (DREAM) Structures
Mariantonieta Gutierrez Soto, Ph.D., University of Kentucky
Complex Dynamics Smart Sensing and Hazard Mitigation
Chao Sun, Ph.D., Louisiana State University
Short Technical Article
High Fidelity Modeling, Resilience Enhancement and Smart Sensing of Critical Infrastructure exposed to Multi-Hazard
Chao Sun, Ph.D., Louisiana State University
Committee Members currently serving on the EMI Board of Governors:
Michele Barbato, Ph.D., C.Eng, P.E., F.EMI, F.SEI, M.ASCE
Ertugrul Taciroglu, Ph.D., F.EMI, M.ASCE
2019 Fellow Class - Michele Barbato, Ph.D., P.E., F.EMI, F.SEI, M.ASCE
2018 Fellow Class - Joel P. Conte, Ph.D., P.E., F.EMI, M.ASCE
EMI International Conference 2020, Durham University
MS-83 on Vibration-based Monitoring of Dynamic Systems Organizers: Manolis Chatzis, Eleni Chatzi, Vasileios Ntertimanis, Geert Lombaert
XI International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2020, November 23-25 2020 , fully online
MS on System Identification and Damage Detection Organizers: Eleni Chatzi, Guido De Roeck
MS on Stochastic Dynamics and Reliability Analysis of Structural and Mechanical Systems under Environmental Excitations Organizers: Michele Barbato, Marcello Vasta
MS on Uncertainties on materials and environmental loads Organizers: Marcello Vasta, Michele Barbato, Vincenzo Sepe
MS on Recent advances in Performance-Based Engineering and Design of Structures and Civil Infrastructure Systems Subjected to Single or Multiple Hazards Organizers: Michele Barbato, Joel P Conte
IALCCE 2020, Fifth International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, October 27-30 2020 , online
MS on Vibration-Based Structural Health Monitoring, Damage Identification and Residual Lifetime Estimation Organizers: Edwin Reynders, Geert Lombaert, Eleni Chatzi,Costas Papadimitriou
IMAC 2020 Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics, February 8-11 2020, Houston Texas
Mini Symposium Organizer on Bayesian Type Filters for Real Time Identification Organizers: Saeed Eftekhar Azam, Vasilis Dertimanis, Eleni Chatzi Uncertainty Quantification & Propagation In Structural Dynamics Organizers: Banak Moaveni, Costas Papadimitriou
16th East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering & Construction (EASEC16) in Brisbane, Australia, 2019
Data Science in Civil Engineering: Efficient Algorithms and Applications Organizers: Heung Fail Lam, Jia-Hua Yang, Jun Hu
Dynamics Committee Past Chairs