Engineers: Inspiring Wonder - February 17-23, 2019
ASCE partners with
(formerly the National Engineers Week Foundation) to shine a spotlight on engineering. Engineers Week is a time to:
- Celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world
- Increase public dialogue about the need for engineers
- Bring engineering to life for kids, educators, and parents
Plan To Get Messy
What would Engineers Week be without rolling up your sleeves and doing hands-on activities with kids?
Engineer's Week All Year Long
Who said visits to schools, libraries and after-school programs are limited to February? These groups love visitors year-round.
Engineers Week is the perfect time to celebrate the work volunteers do throughout the year to promote civil engineering in their communities. Every year ASCE invites each Section and Branch to recognize outstanding volunteers. These volunteers may have been involved in local community service, Engineers Without Borders, K-12 outreach, or other acts of service.
The volunteers recognized for outstanding service for 2019 are:
- Karen Huberdeau,New Hampshire Section
- Christopher LaPorta, Mid-Hudson Branch
- Alyson Stuer, Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- Myndi Bacon, Michigan Section
- Matthew Bechtel, National Capital Section/ Reston Branch
- Coreen Casadei, Pittsburgh Section
- Jennifer Reigel, Philadelphia Section
- Patrick Karnes, Central Ohio Section
- Dhooli Raj, Illinois Section
- Eva Vargas, Cleveland Section
- Patrick Fiveash, Tennessee Section/ Knoxville Branch
- Justin Gibson, North Carolina Section/ Coastal Branch
- Maria Price, Tennessee Section/ Chattanooga Branch
- Melissa Thompson, West Virginia Section
- Akhtar Zaman, Indiana Section/ Northwest Branch
- Stokka Brown, Louisiana Section/ Baton Rouge Branch
- Michael Olka, Florida Section/ East Central Branch
- Rebecca Shelton, Georgia Section
- Naomi Tillet, Florida Section/ Ridge Branch
- Chris J. Nance, Texas Section/ El Paso Branch
- Michael Verhoef, Texas Section/Dallas Branch
- Molly Bennett, Wyoming Section
- Alex Potvin, Colorado Section/ Denver Branch
- Jose Aguilar, Arizona Section
- Josh Goodall, Oregon Section
- Heather Hamilton, Utah Section
- Peter Olsen, Oregon Section/ Capital Branch
- Joanna Opena, Nevada Section/ Southern Nevada Branch
- Maylinn Rosales, Nevada Section
- Monica Morales, Los Angeles Section/ Metropolitan Los Angeles Branch
- Adeleine. J. Tran, Los Angeles Section/ Orange County Branch
What you can do to recognize volunteer service:
- Every Section and Branch of ASCE is invited to submit the name of an outstanding Engineers Week volunteer for recognition.
- Hold an Engineers Week banquet or luncheon to honor volunteers.
- Write letters to volunteers' employers telling them of the volunteer's accomplishments.
- Include a volunteer feature in your eNewsletter
- Do you have an outstanding young volunteer (college or professional under 30 years of age)? Nominate him or her as a
New Face of Civil Engineering.