Navajo Bridge spans Marble Canyon, 470 feet above the Colorado River in Grand Canyon National Park. It was considered the highest steel arch bridge in America when completed.
The Navajo Bridge (also known as the Grand Canyon Bridge) was built in 1929 by the Arizona Highway Department and provided a vital transportation link over the Grand Canyon between northern Arizona and southern Utah. Construction commenced by building on one side of the canyon, then on the other, until the two sides met in the middle.
During construction, a ferry was essential for transporting men, tools, construction materials and heavy building equipment. However, on June 7, 1928, high waters, a weakened ferryboat, and worn cables resulted in disaster. The ferry capsized with three men and a Model T Ford on board. Coconino County refused to replace the ferry, causing extensive construction delays. For the next seven months, construction equipment and materials were brought in by truck, requiring an 800-mile journey around the canyon.