Henry L. Michel Award for Industry Advancement of Research
Nomination Deadline: June 1st
The Henry L. Michel Award for Industry Advancement of Research was established in 1996 and is named in honor of Henry L. Michel, Past Chair of the Civil Engineering Research Foundation (CERF) Board of Directors. This annual award is intended to recognize and acknowledge leaders of the design and construction industry whose dedication and aggressive vision for the industry have provided the cornerstones for improving the quality of people's lives around the world through research in the design and construction industry. It was instituted as a Society Award in December 17, 2008.
- The individual nominated must be a visionary leader whose work has had an impact on research and innovation in the design, construction, and/or environmental community. Not only can prior contributions be considered, but also the nominee's potential for advancing the industry in the future. The candidates' future potential can be given as much weight as their past accomplishments.
- The award is not restricted to members of the Society. The individual selected to receive the award may represent private, academic, or government sectors and their achievements should have had an influence on the design, construction, and/or environmental community. Current ASCE staff is not eligible for nomination.
- One award may be presented annually, if a suitable candidate is identified who has demonstrated a commitment to increase the awareness and participation of the industry in research and innovation advancement. No more than one award may be given in any one year. No one shall receive the award more than once.
- The Award Selection Committee shall be composed of five members, including the two previous award winners, one representative appointed by the Construction Institute and two representatives appointed by the ASCE Industry Leaders Council. Members shall serve staggered two-year terms. The Award Selection Committee shall be chaired by the senior member appointed by the Industry Leaders Council.
- The Award Selection Committee shall submit its recommendation to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for approval.
- The submission deadline is June 1.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not selected will no longer be eligible for consideration, except in the instance where nominations are resubmitted, to be considered for another two-cycle period.
- The award shall consist of a crystal.