Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established by the Transportation and Development Institute (formerly the Highway and Urban Transportation Divisions) of the Society by the solicitation of gifts from the many friends and admirers of Francis C. Turner, Hon.M.ASCE, former Chief Engineer of the Bureau of Public Roads, and retired Federal Highway Administrator. It was instituted by the Board of Direction in October 1988. Income from the award fund will be used to pay for honoraria, plaques, and administrative expenses incidental to the award.
- Society members of any grade or members of T&DI are eligible.
- The award is based on the nominee's contributions to the advancement of the knowledge and practice of transportation engineering.
- The Awards Committee of T&DI reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards Program and recommends to the Board of Governors of T&DI the recipient, if any, for final action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- The award consists of a plaque and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the ASCE Executive Committee based on the income from the award endowment.
- The winner may be invited to deliver a "Francis C. Turner Lecture" at an appropriate meeting of the Society.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the Awards Committee of T&DI, with approval from the Board of Governors of T&DI. The names of these nominees will be conveyed to the Honors and Awards Program office.