T&DI Outstanding Younger Member Award
Nomination Deadline: August 1st
To recognize the professional contributions of younger members of the Institute, the
Committee on Younger Members
(CYM) established the T&DI Outstanding Younger Member Award. The Award was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction of the ASCE Transportation and Development Institute in February 2014.
- The name of the award is the T&DI Outstanding Younger Member Award.
- This recognition may be awarded not more than annually to members of the American Society of Civil Engineers' Transportation and Development Institute who are 35 years of age or less on August 1 in the year of the award and who are judged to have attained significant professional achievement, by the degree to which the candidates have shown:
- Service to the advancement of the profession;
- Evidence of technical competence, high character, and integrity;
- Leadership in the development of younger member attitudes toward the profession;
- Contributions to public service outside of their professional career;
- Other evidence of merit, which in the judgment of the award committee shall have advanced the Society's objectives and contributed to the public perception of the future of engineering.
- The award shall be made not more than annually when, in the judgment of the award committee, suitable candidates are available. No more than one recipient will be named in any year, and no recipient may receive the award more than once.
- An individual, or group of individuals, may submit electronic nominations, for this awards. Nominations may also originate in the award committee, consisting of the full members of the CYM. These nominations shall be submitted using the nomination form available on this site by August 1. The committee will then submit its recommendations, if any, to the T&DI Board of Governors for final action. Self-nominations are not accepted.
- The award review committee shall evaluate and rank each of the nominations received for the award per the following characteristics, with recommended weighting of each category noted as a percentage:
- Technical registration - preference given to PEs and additional professional registrations (10%)
- ASCE Activities - focus on work performed, programs undertaken and improvements initiated. Committee memberships without involvement are not considered activities. (25%)
- Non-ASCE Professional/Technical Society Activities - focus on work performed, programs undertaken, and improvements initiated. Committee memberships without involvement are not considered activities. (10%)
- Civic and Humanitarian Activities - focus on work performed and projects accomplished. May include work in politics, charity, government, or other work that impacts the general public. (10%)
- Engineering Achievements - emphasizes not only papers and presentations, but significant projects undertaken, unique project characteristics, innovative design techniques and research, and peer/industry recognition (35%)
- Activities Outside of Engineering - any activities not included in other categories which represent "non-typical" engineer interests, showcasing an individual who contributes both inside and outside of the engineering world and defies the "stereotypical engineer" (10%)
- Meritorious nominees not selected in a given year may be held over after notification of the nominee and their consent to be held over, at the discretion of the award committee for consideration the following year, provided the nominee is still eligible under Rules II and III.
- Deceased persons are not eligible for nomination for the award, although an award can be made posthumously to a nominee whose petition had reached the award committee during their lifetime.
- The winner shall receive an inscribed award which will be presented at a major ASCE-T&DI sponsored conference in the receiving year, one complimentary conference registration, and $500 travel reimbursement to the conference at which the award will be presented.
- Members of the Younger Member Nominating Committee or T&DI Awards Committee shall not be eligible for the award.
Inquiries about this award may be submitted to the Transportation & Development Institute of ASCE staff at