Stephen D. Bechtel, Jr. Energy Award
Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Stephen D. Bechtel, Jr. Energy Award was established to recognize outstanding achievements in the energy field by a civil engineer. The Bechtel Foundation donated funds to support this award in honor of the contributions made by Stephen D. Bechtel, Jr., F.ASCE, to the engineering profession and his noteworthy advancements in the design and construction of energy projects throughout the world. The award was established by the Board of Direction in April 1992.
- The award may be made annually to a member of ASCE who has made a definite contribution to the advancement of the energy field in research, planning, design or construction. The contribution may have been made in the form of papers or other written presentations, or through outstanding performance or specific noteworthy actions that have served to advance the art, science and technology of the energy field.
- Not more than one award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the joint contribution of more than one person, such as the joint authorship of a paper. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- Each Section and Branch and Technical Division Executive Committee is entitled to enter the name of one nominee annually. These names, and supporting documents, are referred to the Executive Committee of the Energy Division.
- The Executive Committee of the Energy Division recommends the recipient, if any, to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- The award consists of a plaque and cash award determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction, based on the income from the award endowment. If an award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque and cash award. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.